360 in a '65 Dart

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Please NO editorials. If you have a 360 in an '65 A body and you are using a deep pan 7-8 qts. could you tell me the make and or the # of the pan and any febrication that you may have done. Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by editorials, but I have a 340 Moroso oil pan which fits without any cutting of the K-frame. They do hang low though. Other than the rear man seal being different the pan's are basically the same in the area's that you would be concerned about. If you don't have the V-8 drag length then they will hit, but if you have the dropped drag length then it clears just fine.

Well crap, mine is jacked up a little cause of the shims under my solid mounts so that my headers clear the frame, so I'm not 100% sure that the drag length will clear, but the deep sump part will clear.

Lee

Thanks for the feedback. After talking to the owner of Milodon, I was told that there is a long and short pitman arm for the older A body. Needless to say ther longer one gives all the clearance

A longer pitman arm for early A-bodies?!? Wow, I wonder what the part # on that is. I always thought all 63-66 pitman arms and idler arms were the same, but parts books can be wrong.

It would also seem you would need a longer idler arm as well, unless the Milodon pan is only bigger on the drivers side.

Thanks for the feedback. After talking to the owner of Milodon, I was told that there is a long and short pitman arm for the older A body. Needless to say ther longer one gives all the clearance

I wouldn't put ANY faith in anything Milodon says. I got in a big disagreement with them about their stainless valves back in the early 90's when I built my 340. Their valves were advertised as stock length, which technically they were. However, the margin of the valve was so much thicker than stock that the stem height of the valve was .075" lower than it's supposed to be. They could not get past the concept that this was wrong. They kept saying that they duplicated a stock valve. Anyway, not to bore you with the details, but I wouldn't listen to them.

Check out Charlie's oil pans. He makes them custom.

I think that maybe he was wanting to say the drag length instead of the pitman arm.

Lee

I'm running a Milodon pan on my 340 in my '65 Valiant and I had to notch the k-member to get it to clear the corners of the sump in the front of the pan. The centerlink cleared fine.

Chuck

I agree. The Moroso 8 quart pan works well.
Do you remember what the Part# was on your 360 oil pan? I understand that Moroso has changed the # and I don't know if they changed the pan shape. Was it their street or race pan?

-
Back