360 TBI distributors

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1990 TBI 360 and left the distributor there .
I figured it was no good for my plans . But now I am wondering if those 3 wire dizzy’s are of any use to a hotrodder ?

@hlifaxhops

Lol

If it had vacuum and mechanical advance, you could do something with it.

Pretty sure it is a Hall effect they use in them and they are usually locked out also Good system just I have no way to check them out.

Last edited:
The hall effect pickup in that distributor is generally a pretty reliable setup as far as that goes. No physical advance mechanisms; the advance curves are all in lookup tables in the SMEC or SBEC.

I had plans refined to just short of the buy-hardware-and-go-try-it-out stage, to put a vacuum + mechanical advance distributor in my '89 D-100 with TBI 318—same setup as in the '90 360. The idea was to further improve on the poor driveability and economy from that primitive, pathetic TBI system's halfassed hardware and sloppy software, after some improvements I'd already made elsewise.

I sold the truck before I wound up trying out my ideas.

Ok .. so no valid reason to go back and get it . Unlees of course I switch to an electronic fuel infection system.

They can be used in Sniper or other aftermarket FI systems with ignition control capabilities, instead of paying for Holley or MSD's ridiculously overpriced offerings that are no better than these- considering most of the time they can be had at giveaway prices.

-
Back