360 to 904 trans ( in a 318 car)

-

70DUSTER/74SCAMP

Sold the scamp ....still got the duster tho
Reaction score
i am thinking about swapping a 360 into my 74 scamp. it currently has a 904 trans attached to the 318. since the 318 is internally balanced and the 360 is externally balanced what all do i need to make this swap? can i use my stock torque converter still and just get the BM FLEXPLATE? Any help would be appreciated thank u all!

zach

you can buy the B&M flexplate or have the 318 flex plate balanced.

Yes you can I do believe, I did , had a 318 bolted to this one ,now a 360 with a B&M plate.

FB_IMG_1596370938568.jpg

I have not started it for testing yet but I got all my tec help here

FB_IMG_1611839943443.jpg

Yup, as stated above, just use the B&M 10239 flexplate.
The motor mount brackets will need a spacer between the driver's side rear engine ear and the bracket on the 360, otherwise the 318 mounts will fit fine.
Depending on what your 360 came out of; you may need a 360 passenger car oil pan, pickup, and dipstick. The 318 pan will not work on the 360.

you can buy the B&M flexplate or have the 318 flex plate balanced.

I believe you meant balance the converter? (If one can find the template/instructions for proper weight & placement.) The stock flexplate doesn't have the surface area. But the B&M flexplate is by far the best, easiest option.
If you find a 360 converter, make sure it's not a lock-up version because it won't work with a non-lock-up trans..

(Edited)

Last edited:
I believe you meant balance the converter? (If one can find the template/instructions for proper weight & placement.) The stock flexplate doesn't have the surface area. But the B&M flexplate is by far the best, easiest option.
If you find a 360 converter, make sure it's not a lock-up version because it won't work with a non-lock-up trans..

(Edited)
No, I meant what I said. I've had flexplates balanced from 318's and used on 360's. In fact, the one behind my 360 now is a 318 flexplate that's been balanced. I like the weighted flexplate so I can use neutral balanced converters. However, the B&M is easy and SFI certified.

No, I meant what I said. I've had flexplates balanced from 318's and used on 360's. In fact, the one behind my 360 now is a 318 flexplate that's been balanced. I like the weighted flexplate so I can use neutral balanced converters. However, the B&M is easy and SFI certified.

OEM 318 flexplate?
upload_2021-3-19_11-45-42.jpeg

I was concerned about lack of surface area as well as thickness (warping). IMO, not a good idea for many performance applications also. But if it worked.....my apologies for jumping to conclusions. I tend to be over-cautious.

OEM 318 flexplate? View attachment 1715710275

I was concerned about lack of surface area as well as thickness (warping). IMO, not a good idea for many performance applications also. But if it worked.....my apologies for jumping to conclusions.
I'm aware what a OEM flexplate is.... lol... The weight welded in the arch would actually strengthen the stock flexplate I'd think. The guy I have balance them will build you a 1400 hp monster truck motor or a 95 hp smooth running 6 banger. The one I'm currently running has been behind 2 360's over the span of about 12 years. Maybe 15 yrs, I can't remember... LOL

Those 904 converters are famous for cracking. Plus, it might be a low stall. New converters are cheap. Even an oem hi-stall is under $100.

-
Back