360 to a 408 how much quicker

-

stroker408

Reaction score
old combo was a 360 30 over 10.7:1, edelbrock heads ,Xtreme Energy Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller-dur@ 0.050 242 248 valve lift .549 .544 ,crane roller rockers, air gap intake , 750 dp speed demon. it in a 69 dart 4 speed with 4.11 gears . it now has a 408 scat rotating assembly 10:1 with all the parts from the old engine. it ran a 12.20 with the 360cu engine,how much do you guys think it will pick up?

alot more torque throughout and depending on heads,porting,carb and cam should be a handfull probably mid 11`s if you can hook

can i put 318 heads on a 360 block

Posting a question in someone else's thread is considerd rude and will most likely go un answered.

I'll answer you one time and delated any other answers dirceted towards you until you start your own thread.

Your answer is "YES"

Well played Rumblefish, I agree. But it was DT74360Duster's first post.:eek:ops:

Wow, that'll be a nice pick-up. I've always wondered what just the stroke and inches are worth, as I'm planning a 408 build myself.

Here's something to think about, we used to run an altered in a bracket class years ago. It had a 383,with a street dominator manifold a mild erson cam headers etc. It sucked up some air in the oil pickup and killed the crank, we did a quick rebuild on a 440 short got a RB version of the street dominator and ran it at the next meeting. I can't remember if it was ET or MPH it picked up but it gained either 1 tenth or 1 MPH but it wasn't both.

When do you plan on getting it to the track? Keep us posted on what you have picked up, it should be very interesting.

When do you plan on getting it to the track? Keep us posted on what you have picked up, it should be very interesting.
planning to go aug 15&16 to bracket bash at greenfield dragway if weather is good lots of rain here engine in sounds really good .No road test yet to much rain

(stroked 340)so your saying apples to apples the same setup the 360 is going to have the same power or more than a stroker ? if thats the case i should have just stayed with the 360 i could have saved a small fortune, but you may be write if your running indy heads ported on the 360 and the stroker is running stock heads.

(stroked 340)so your saying apples to apples the same setup the 360 is going to have the same power or more than a stroker ? if thats the case i should have just stayed with the 360 i could have saved a small fortune, but you may be write if your running indy heads ported on the 360 and the stroker is running stock heads.

Not exactely its all in your combination,they're a few guys running strokers that can't touch my 360..by the way i also have a 416 stroker thats gone 11.02,so i know what can be done with each..i prefer the 416 any day,and can't wait to get it back under the hood its all about torque...

Not exactely its all in your combination,they're a few guys running strokers that can't touch my 360..by the way i also have a 416 stroker thats gone 11.02,so i know what can be done with each..i prefer the 416 any day,and can't wait to get it back under the hood its all about torque...

I agree. Actually it's a "total" combination working together- engine, trans, rear, suspension, tune-up, etc. I've gone 11.31 @ 115 mph weighing 3,540 lbs with a 360 +.060"., normally aspirated. (No NOS.)

Unported 1.88" OEM heads.
10.5-1 compression
.474" lift hyd. cam.
750 single 4 barrel
904 trans - footbrake.

There are other, similar cars, including lighter combos and Magnum 360's, that have been in the 10's!

I don't mean to brag, just trying to point out that you can find a lot of ET through fine-tuning, selecting the right parts, understanding how each part works alone as well as together with everything else, etc. All the cubic inches in the world will not help you be much faster if there is a weak link, mismatched part or bad tune-up in your combo. More cubic inches does provide more potential to go faster. But it needs time, patience, work, understanding and a good machine shop to get the most out of it, OEM size or stroked.

I agree. Actually it's a "total" combination working together- engine, trans, rear, suspension, tune-up, etc. I've gone 11.31 @ 115 mph weighing 3,540 lbs with a 360 +.060"., normally aspirated. (No NOS.)

Unported 1.88" OEM heads.
10.5-1 compression
.474" lift hyd. cam.
750 single 4 barrel
904 trans - footbrake.

There are other, similar cars, including lighter combos and Magnum 360's, that have been in the 10's!

I don't mean to brag, just trying to point out that you can find a lot of ET through fine-tuning, selecting the right parts, understanding how each part works alone as well as together with everything else, etc. All the cubic inches in the world will not help you be much faster if there is a weak link, mismatched part or bad tune-up in your combo. More cubic inches does provide more potential to go faster. But it needs time, patience, work, understanding and a good machine shop to get the most out of it, OEM size or stroked.

how r u doing this?

i should have 400hp to run 12s but i want low 12s

how r u doing this?

i should have 400hp to run 12s but i want low 12s

It is a stock eliminator car...they are racing engines with stock parts...chasis are very effiecent..

and a stock eliminator engine is not cheap...a set of heads done for stock small block cost around 3000 dollars by a guy name don little out here on the west coast.

alot of work...and work...

-
Back