360 vs 383

383 or 360 ?

• overall, 383 all things considered

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • overall, 360 all things considered

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
-
This is an interesting question of 360 vs 383. With the intro of affordable speed parts that began about 25 years ago for mopars its really a wash. Today and relatively speaking the affordable stroker kits, aluminum heads and assortment of Hyd and solid roller cams is the determining factor. Even though I could probably afford a stroker mopar engine with aluminum heads I still like to look at this comparison being that one is using most of the factory components. 318 will run did not state we must stay within this parameter but I am thinking out loud. Taking 2 sound healthy bones stock engines- Ill say like 1972 to 1985 360LA and a 383 built between 1967 and 1971- utilizing the OEM heads, block, crank and pistons- or replacement EXACT equivalent pistons- I believe history shows the 383 to be superior. I remember in the 1980s even SBC guys did not run aluminum heads and stroker kits even though they were available- Was $$ for chevy guys back then as well. Mopar didn't have ANY AFFORDABLE aftermarket head for a street engine build. The W2 program was great but $$$$$$$$$$$. Offshore manufactured parts have allowed all these fun go fast parts to be accessible by the gear head masses. I'm not bragging up or praising China- but it is a fact that products being initial produced over there have made said products available to us which was UNHEARD of in the 70s 80s and 90s.

This is an interesting question of 360 vs 383. With the intro of affordable speed parts that began about 25 years ago for mopars its really a wash. Today and relatively speaking the affordable stroker kits, aluminum heads and assortment of Hyd and solid roller cams is the determining factor. Even though I could probably afford a stroker mopar engine with aluminum heads I still like to look at this comparison being that one is using most of the factory components. 318 will run did not state we must stay within this parameter but I am thinking out loud. Taking 2 sound healthy bones stock engines- Ill say like 1972 to 1985 360LA and a 383 built between 1967 and 1971- utilizing the OEM heads, block, crank and pistons- or replacement EXACT equivalent pistons- I believe history shows the 383 to be superior. I remember in the 1980s even SBC guys did not run aluminum heads and stroker kits even though they were available- Was $$ for chevy guys back then as well. Mopar didn't have ANY AFFORDABLE aftermarket head for a street engine build. The W2 program was great but $$$$$$$$$$$. Offshore manufactured parts have allowed all these fun go fast parts to be accessible by the gear head masses. I'm not bragging up or praising China- but it is a fact that products being initial produced over there have made said products available to us which was UNHEARD of in the 70s 80s and 90s.
Yes.. but we aren't building a motor in 1971.... not one single person here would build a motor using all stock parts.. i'm not saying the outcome would be different just that all this talk about stock numbers and factory parts makes no sense..

Yes.. but we aren't building a motor in 1971.... not one single person here would build a motor using all stock parts.. i'm not saying the outcome would be different just that all this talk about stock numbers and factory parts makes no sense..
Yea... and just how many people today actually think the mileage showing on their 70 Dart is what is really is!!???? :rofl: :BangHead: :steering: :poke:

I think there are two scenarios for this topic. One is this is a swap with what can be found as an ok motor that should run and the other is a full build before the swap.

In the case of dragging home whatever can be found, I think the stock comparisons from years ago are somewhat helpful, assuming time hasn't colored the memory too much. And I think any 360 (2bbl or 4bbl) versus a 383 2bbl only is the most helpful as most people aren't going to end up with an HP 383 when they find one. Not everyone, certainly there are those that get lucky, but chances are what is found is going to be a low compression 383 2bbl.

In the case of a build before the swap, it would be interesting to see how they stack up. My personal criteria would be stock stroke, zero deck pistons and a budget for cylinder heads that could buy 440Source Stealth heads or whatever SB head that cost the same or lower. Not sure there is a SB head that fits that budget, but if not then it is a knock against the 360. Maybe the trade off is the 383 can have either a roller cam or Stealth heads (but not both), while the 360 has a cheap option for a roller cam but is limited in cylinder head options.

BTW, in my opinion this discussion should be limited to stock stroke 360's and 383's. While a 408 or 496 are based on those, they aren't the same motor.

I think simply because the B engine will always have a better head makes it is the winner- whether stock or stroked with all the aftermarket parts. Common B head uses 2.08 int and 1.74 exh. (I have omitted the early heads with 2.08/1.60 config as the bigger exh valve head is plentiful as it was made from 1967 to 1977- nice long span) Going aftermarket heads the B engine gets even more of an advantage with oversize Int and Exh valves where the LA -even in the aftermarket commonly stays with factory 2.02 int and 1.6 exh sizes. Add to that the LA head has the "Pushrod Pinch" on the intake side that even the aftermarket has to have due to design. (No W2s) The B engine head does not have the pushrod pinch compromise. Id love to have a version of either. A 408 LA or Magnum with a six pack would make me happy as would a 438 or bigger B engine with an iron dual quad intake or even an Offenhauser with 2 600 AFB carbs.

Not really taking sides, as I like both motors, but in the sixties, Hot Rod Magazine dyno tested a 340 and a 383. Note that this was not the magnum 383, just the 383 four barrel motor that had a milder cam than the 340. Both made the same 280 hp stock. Modified, the 383 made more with similar cam, intake, carb etc.

A 383 does have a few more cubes than either a 340 or 360.

Yea... and just how many people today actually think the mileage showing on their 70 Dart is what is really is!!???? :rofl: :BangHead: :steering: :poke:
my 70 says 72000, i can believe that as it had 54000 when i bought it , still had all original parts

I remember back in the mid 1990s a mopar magazine sponsored the build of a street 360 6 Pack. It was a give away engine. The builder Figueroa and Thornton built the engine. They are a legit mopar builder specializing in street only engines. The engine was very nice but I was so disappointed they went with 8.5:1 compression. I think it made 330hp on a dyno. Im relying on memory so forgive if my statement has discrepancies but factually, I was disappointed in the power output for an engine with all new and re machined parts.

-
Back