360LA hyd. lifter noise help!

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
On my rebuilt 360 LA I have lifter noise. I'm using Comp Cams Extreme 20-222-3 hyd. cam and lifters. The noise use to present at low RPM but went away after some driving. Now the tick comes on around 2,500 rpm and stays.

It dosn't seem to be as loud as it use to be.

I had the lifter holes honed to clean them up a bit if that makes a difference or not. Engine is newly built to with low miles.

On my rebuilt 360 LA I have lifter noise. I'm using Comp Cams Extreme 20-222-3 hyd. cam and lifters. The noise use to present at low RPM but went away after some driving. Now the tick comes on around 2,500 rpm and stays.

It dosn't seem to be as loud as it use to be.

I had the lifter holes honed to clean them up a bit if that makes a difference or not. Engine is newly built to with low miles.

Just curious, but have you pulled the valve covers and checked to see of all of the valvetrain is properly getting oiled?I hope the lifter bores werent honed too larger for the lifters, causing the lifters to rattle some in the block. What valve springs were used with the cam and were the rocker shafts, rockers and pushrods new or used again? Just want to get some information before I give an opinion on what may be the issue.

With the higher rpm tendancy for it to make noise, it almost seems to be something like an oiling issue. If they are stock rocker shafts, were they installed right side up? The side with the most holes should be facing down and the notched on the ends of the shafts need to be facing the right direction.

Comp cams do have the tendancy to be slightly noisier than stock, but it really depends on how noisy.:thumblef:

This may also be a dumb question, but to what extent were the cylinder heads rebuilt? Were the valve guides replaced? If not, they could be worn and be a potential source of the problem with this higher lift cam. Also, does it quiet somewhat as it gets warm, or is it worse?

I have not pulled the covers to see if its getting oil while its running. But I have pulled the covers after it has ran and oil was in the head. I also re-checked the torque and the shafts and they were good. The holes are pointed down and the notches are in the proper direction...one side to the back, the other to the front...correct?? I used the old pushrods and rockers.

The engine had the edelbrock performer series cam,springs,intake,carb on it before i tore it down. So the heads have those springs installed. I just took the heads apart to lap the valves than put it together the way i took them apart. I went to summitracing and for the pushrod recomendations they had the length pushrod that I have, or i could of gone with some a tad longer.

I didn't replace any valve guides, just the seals.

Seems like the noise is more parent when its hot. But somtimes if i jump on it and wind it out, the noise will go away to where you can barley hear it unless you really focus on it.

The ticking noise isn't really loud. But i can hear it inside my jeep while driving down the road. If i have my heater fan on I can barley hear it.

I heard with comp cams, the oiling hole is higher up on the lifter than most causing this to happen some???

I have not pulled the covers to see if its getting oil while its running. But I have pulled the covers after it has ran and oil was in the head. I also re-checked the torque and the shafts and they were good. The holes are pointed down and the notches are in the proper direction...one side to the back, the other to the front...correct?? I used the old pushrods and rockers.

The engine had the edelbrock performer series cam,springs,intake,carb on it before i tore it down. So the heads have those springs installed. I just took the heads apart to lap the valves than put it together the way i took them apart. I went to summitracing and for the pushrod recomendations they had the length pushrod that I have, or i could of gone with some a tad longer.

I didn't replace any valve guides, just the seals.

Seems like the noise is more parent when its hot. But somtimes if i jump on it and wind it out, the noise will go away to where you can barley hear it unless you really focus on it.

The ticking noise isn't really loud. But i can hear it inside my jeep while driving down the road. If i have my heater fan on I can barley hear it.

I heard with comp cams, the oiling hole is higher up on the lifter than most causing this to happen some???

I would make doubly sure that the pushrods are straight and the proper size. Could be a lifter clattering in a bore or two, which would be more apparent when the oil thins out when warm. This is sometimes due to a slightly out of round lifter bore.

The valve guides would be something else I would look into as well, with this higher lift cam. They may be a source of the noise if they are beat. I would also pull the covers and have someone crank the motor while watching the valvetrain to see how things are opening and if there is any significant variences or loose valvetrain components. Just my $.02.

i need to buy a used set of stock valve covers so i can cut the top off. That way oil dosn't go everywhere when i run it....when checking the valves.

the noise seems to be equal on both sides of the engine and not just a few valves.

i need to buy a used set of stock valve covers so i can cut the top off. That way oil dosn't go everywhere when i run it....when checking the valves.

the noise seems to be equal on both sides of the engine and not just a few valves.

Hmmmmmm, sounds like improper length pushrods or an oiling issue possibly. Definetely check the valve events and oiling and see what is happening and report back...

sry for the long delay . I have yet to work on the jeep. It has just been sitting outisde coverd in snow lol. I have the next few days of work off so i plan on pulling it into the garage, cranking the heat on, and tear into it. I did drive it around the block today.... partly to doink around in the snow ... and when cold it had no noise, got hot and there it was!

Can anyone post links on how to check for proper length pushrods???

also i'll check to make sure the notchs on the rails are facing the correct way... anyone know off the top of their head the way they go??

I will also crank the engine over while checking the lifters. I'll just pull the coil wire so it won't start.

-
Back