383 B vs 383 RB???

-
Did you know the first B was 350? Wouldn't that be fun to screw with the Shevyheads?

Did you know a 383 (B, low deck) has a shorter stroke than a Chev 350? (3.375 Mopar B, 3.48, Chev 350)
I like the short stroke/big bore combo. This B line of big blocks act like a BIG small block.

The 350 B was a 1 year only deal, so, no, I’d rather do a 361 between the two. I like the way it looks on paper from the B&S to the head and valve sizes. Between the whole B engine line, it would be ether the 383 or 400. Though getting a slug for these, the 400 even more so, is hard to find to a custom ($$$) made. You might as well go for the cubic inches.

2 years back on the main blvd., I ran into a father/son team in a Monte SS (86-ish) with there 383. We got to a quick BSing. They didn’t know Chrysler made a B 400. Pops knew of the B 383 since he was in his late 50’s, but I was surprised he never head of the 400.

I was told the RB was better for stroker motors but idk if that is right or not
Do yourself a favor and don't even go there. You will have a hard time finding a RB. All the stroker parts and kits are made to work with a B block.

The 383 RB was produced in 59 and 60 and used in the Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga models only.

Stroker kits for 383s are all for b-blocks. There is almost no parts available for rb 383, other than generic gaskets, etc. I think thats what toolmanmike meant. There's lots of stroker kits for rb's, they are all just based on hemis or 440s.

From Allpar:

Chrysler also wanted a 383 cubic inch engine, to avoid having a smaller engine than the lesser Dodge. Trenton Engine, at the time, had a line for the B engine and one for the RB; the B line was busy pushing out 383s and 361s, while the RB line was underused, producing just the 413. Chrysler engineers created a 383 engine out of the RB 413 block, with a narrower bore — so there was a large-bore, short-stroke Dodge 383 and a small-bore, long-stroke Chrysler “Golden Lion” 383.

The 383 RB was only available in 1959 and 1960 on the US-built Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga (thanks, Ian Smale and Bill Watson). In 1961, the plant figured out how to quickly switch from one block to the other, and they dropped the RB 383.

.............And "who'd a thunk" that the (then) much aligned 400 smog motor would become the basis for awesome stroker power plants.............

Couldn't get much worse than that unless it was a /6 in a C body.

uhhhhh yeah it can get worse. There's an auction house down the road from us. They buy up vehicles and have auctions twice a month. Sometimes, we go down just to walk around for something to do. Not too long ago they had a mid 60s D700 dump truck. 225, NP435 (I think) and some kinda really huge 2 speed rear axle. So yeah, it can get worse. lol

^^Probably something like a local small town street truck, where it won't see much if any highway use^^

My Gramps, then my Dad once had a 36 or 38 Chevy dump, non syncro, 216. And it burned oil AND had no power. They didn't use it much, hauled a little gravel from a nearby pit

-
Back