383 Head Gasket Recomendations

-

Standonit1972

Reaction score
I am going to installing a supercharger on my 383 in the near future. Does anyone have any recommendations for head gaskets? This is a stock shortblock with flattop pistons, and I am using iron heads.

I used the Cometic to decrease the compression just a tad due to available fuel today. Blown engines will certainly need Attention.

Felpro 1009 if the deck surface is not prepped for a Cometic gasket.

The big block head is fastened by 15 bolts versus a small blocks 10.
Better sealing with the bolts placed around each cylinder on the 383

I removed the top end of this engine today. It has true L2315 forged pistons, .030 over, and it looks like the pistons are about .010 in the hole. I am going to use a set of 906 heads I have that are uncut. Any idea of the compression ratio? I am hoping some of you experts weigh in. It’s going to be a low boost build, about 6-8 pounds, and I am hoping this setup will be a good one. I have not cc’d the heads, I have the setup to do so, but the valve on the beaker wants to leak instead of flow downwards into the combustion chamber.

L2315F piston with a 906 head and a .022" head gasket gives 9.77c.r. too much for a blower . Fel-pro .042" gasket will bring the c.r. down enough . Remember , blowers make a huge amount of heat . You could get by with 6 lbs of boost but I'm not sure .

I removed the top end of this engine today. It has true L2315 forged pistons, .030 over, and it looks like the pistons are about .010 in the hole. I am going to use a set of 906 heads I have that are uncut. Any idea of the compression ratio? I am hoping some of you experts weigh in. It’s going to be a low boost build, about 6-8 pounds, and I am hoping this setup will be a good one. I have not cc’d the heads, I have the setup to do so, but the valve on the beaker wants to leak instead of flow downwards into the combustion chamber.

Is that an HP block? My L2315 +.30 are 0 deck.

Is that an HP block? My L2315 +.30 are 0 deck.
I think there is a variance on an uncut block . 005 -.010 in the holes I have measured. That's a few different blocks.
The only piston I have found that dropped in at zero deck is the Badger piston in the 70's early 80's

It’s definitely not zero deck. It looks like it’s .010 below deck or close to it.

I was able to measure the chamber cc in a round about way. I never could get the drip valve on my beaker to work correctly, so I fill the chamber and then used a syringe to empty it into the beaker. Looks like 86cc is the measurement in both heads.

I was able to measure the chamber cc in a round about way. I never could get the drip valve on my beaker to work correctly, so I fill the chamber and then used a syringe to empty it into the beaker. Looks like 86cc is the measurement in both heads.
that's correct for 906 heads

-
Back