4-Speed Identification

-

FomocoReformed

Reaction score
I've been searching and searching and I just can't find any coherent information on how to identify whether my 4 speed is an OD unit or not.

It's got some numbers on it but searching them reveals absolutely nothing and there is no list of casting numbers that I can find.

Picking the trans up and looking all around it revealed the following,

Number on the tailshaft
C 133 64A

Shift cover
C-99386

Bearing retainer
C13157

Left side ahead of the cover
C 13303 C

"H A P" stamped opposite each other on the case and tailshaft

I would love to know what gear ratios I have... :burnout:

I did not check the numbers, but the quick and dirty.
If the bearing retainer measures over 5" if so it is most likely an OD.

Bearing retainer is larger than 5" just by a hair. Any way of 100% confirming that it's an OD trans? I've read on here that some '75 non-OD transmissions used the large bearing retainer, and even a few got out in '76.

Funny thing is I hear I should have a raised pad on the right side with ID numbers stamped into it, I've got a small raised area but it's completely blank.

11092011657.jpg

I was crossing my fingers hard that I wasn't sitting on a weak OD trans :mumum:

No way to know without opening it up at this point, post a picture showing the other side of the trans and not as close .

Is it an alum case or cast iron? That ID pad should have been stamped and that will tell you what you need to know mostly , those numbers you put up are casting numbers and are pretty much useless in trying to identify an 833 .

All 4 speed non O/D case casting numbers will start with C9. O/D s will start with C1 like yours does on the 3 main parts. The shift cover fits either trans thats why its a c9 number and Chrysler used the same casting or had them left over. So yours is an O/D unit.

It has an OD side cover on it, that is a indication that it may be unless its just the cover.

Take a magnet to it and see if its steel or aluminum

How can you tell it's an OD side cover?

and I took a magnet to it, magnet shows that it's aluminum

I did buy this from a transmission rebuilder so it's still up in the air what's actually inside it, I'm going to open it up to be sure it's an OD. What should I look for?

If you go to Brewers performance they have a great section on how to ID the different transmissions and parts.

How can you tell it's an OD side cover?

and I took a magnet to it, magnet shows that it's aluminum

I did buy this from a transmission rebuilder so it's still up in the air what's actually inside it, I'm going to open it up to be sure it's an OD. What should I look for?

On the cover where the 2 upper tabs bolt on, there is a line between them, non-od units didn't have that. Non overdrive units were cast iron too. It also looks like you have the larger bearing retainer like the OD unit.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure it's an O/D trans now. Special thanks to mrmopartech for helping me ID everything and the bellhousing.

I won't worry about it unless I grenade it:burnout:

On the cover where the 2 upper tabs bolt on, there is a line between them, non-od units didn't have that. Non overdrive units were cast iron too. It also looks like you have the larger bearing retainer like the OD unit.

That line (rib) there was used in the '70 and later 4 speeds when they changed from the ball & dent side cover to the one with the levers. So thats not an overdrive specific part but all original overdrive trans do have it.

-
Back