4 speed swap

-

63dartman

Reaction score
My 63 dart is originally a 3 speed on the column with a /6. I kept all the parts when I went to a 318/904 auto. I was wanting to know if my clutch pedal assembly and z-bar linkage would work on a 4 speed swap? Also what other parts would be needed.....I know i need the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch,pressure plate, tranny,shifter,linkage,.....Do I need any special components for the pilot bushing? I heard that the crank for a auto verses standard are different, Is that true? I haven't done much homework so any help would be much appreciated. And finally, what tranny do I look for to do this swap? Any websites that would help me out?

Ok, your z bar will need to be changed or shortened, you will need the floor hump for the 4 speed. As far as the pilot bushing, I think you will be fine, I did the same thing on my 66 Dart a few years back, and had no problems with the crank being a different size. But the z bar was different.

Ok, your z bar will need to be changed or shortened, you will need the floor hump for the 4 speed. As far as the pilot bushing,

All pilot bushing are the same. Z bar must be 7 inches wide, the other thing I had to do a slight modification on was the pivot ball that attaches to the trans was slightly different, but can easliy be changed. I beleive one hole has to be ovaled out.

dartcuda said:
Ok, your z bar will need to be changed or shortened, you will need the floor hump for the 4 speed. As far as the pilot bushing, I think you will be fine, I did the same thing on my 66 Dart a few years back, and had no problems with the crank being a different size. But the z bar was different.

I belive that the zbar is the same as S/6 to V8

Thanks for the info....now is there a certain four speed that I need? what should I avoid also.....

dartcuda said:
I think it was an inch or two. It has been awhile, and really don't remember how much I took off.

Thanks, thats helpful to know that. I have one that is bent that I can experiment with.

-
Back