400 BB build

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
So i figured there is no place to start getting ideas like my FABO brothers and sisters so here goes. I want to build a streetable 400 BB that produces 500+ HP. Can anyone give me some proven combos?

I say just rebuild the Long Block back to stock specs (advertised 8.5:1 compression) and Blowthrough Single Turbocharge it.....600+ tire frying hp/tq, and better gas mileage (if you could just cruise it) than you'd believe on pump gas.

Otherwise.....stroke it with a 440 crank, buy custom CR pistons a rupity .500ish" cam, and GET A 1000cfm carb and 2" primary headers and crank it up.

NA horsepower and torque numbers are usually half of turbocharged setups....unless drastic modifications such as High CR, Extensive Porting and Polishing, and extensive balancing, are performed....and UN-NECESSARY with forced induction setups unless trying to squeeze out every single hp.

A word about pistons. Best to go forged if you throw turbo's at it. The hypers will hold up to NOS and the manufacturers claim at KB is that they will hold up to turbo's and nos if the right engine management is in place.

Im building a 451 for my Dart and so far have a good start. The 451 is the most budget minded bb stroker as you can tecnically use all factory parts. That means stock rods,cranks,bearings etc can be used. It fits good in an A body as it is a B block and factory C body exhaust manifolds can be used. Im going with headers myself but it isnt hard to make 550 h.p with exhaust manifolds on this motor. 550 is childsplay for a 451!

Some of the 400 blocks are good for 800 h.p. The factory forged crank will live just fine at 650 h.p. 440 source makes some kits for this stroker as reasonable prices. K1 makes a real nice cranky shaft for this motor !

451 is a torquey quick revving big block!:burnout:

There should be a sticky thread for 500 horse big block combos.

There's gonna be a TON of builds posted to that sticky. A bb mopar yawns at 500 H.P!

I wrote an entire book about performance big block motors. It has several complete build guides in the later chapters. Amazon sells the book for less than $20.

He never said stroke the engine, so, what do you all say about a 400 BB build without stroking it

Andy, provide a link please.

I bought your book Andy and I must say it's good. It has a lot of the latest/greatest comonents covered and some great advise.

As for a 400 build,for a mild street /bracket motor I'd use a cast crank to about 550 h.p and treat it like a really good breathing 383. It will have a slight edge over an identical built 383 as it has a bigger bore which will help breathing. Use 1/2 groove bearings and a 1/2" hemi p/u screen and tube for the oiling system. The block will need be drilled tapped for the larger p/u.

I dont know if mopar still offers the templates for big block heads,but it would be worth doing as would an upgrade on the intake valve size. 452 heads are just fine as are just about any other head as far as stock heads go.

I think certain casting # 400 blocks are rated higher as they can withstand more punishment. The casting # escapes me,but the better blocks are cold weather versions.

-
Back