400 with TF 240 heads - valley plate options?

-

DGrace

Reaction score
Getting ready for my engine build and decided on a 470 with TF 240 heads. From what I've found, there doesn't seem to be many options for the valley plate on a B engine with these heads - at least one that doesn't cost $200..... Even the one Trick Flow makes only works with the 270 heads? I guess if it had a removable section - maybe I could justify the $$ but man. Anyone have an alternative that works and doesn't cost so much? Did my looking and thought I'd check with those that have gone before......thank you in advance. <><

Getting ready for my engine build and decided on a 470 with TF 240 heads. From what I've found, there doesn't seem to be many options for the valley plate on a B engine with these heads - at least one that doesn't cost $200..... Even the one Trick Flow makes only works with the 270 heads? I guess if it had a removable section - maybe I could justify the $$ but man. Anyone have an alternative that works and doesn't cost so much? Did my looking and thought I'd check with those that have gone before......thank you in advance. <><
I run Indy Cylinder Heads and they have a good setup with their valley pan and removable center cover.

1479577403177.jpg

Screenshot_20201024-194109.png

I just buttoned up my 440 build a few weeks ago. Using the Trickflow 240's, and I ended up using the AR engineering valley plate and the batwings. Andy's valley plates are well designed and nicely machined. I'm very happy with them.

A factory style valley pan don’t work with the trick flow 240s?

A factory style valley pan don’t work with the trick flow 240s?

The Felpro one I originally planned to use would have had to be trimmed around the intake ports to open up to the trickflow port size. Not a huge amount, but enough that
i didnt want to mess with it.

Does anyone know if the Indy plate will work work with these heads?

Last edited:
The AR Engineering one was what I was referring to in my original post. $175 plus the batwings for $30. Very nice but I was looking for a cheaper option - especially since it doesn't have an access panel. Does it have to be that thick? Would a piece of aluminum sheet with a slightly beveled edges work? Guess when I get the heads, I'll figure something out.

If it is a modest performance engine then the factory tin valley plate works just fine. I designed my valley plate and batwing setup for people who want a perfect port match.

If it is a modest performance engine then the factory tin valley plate works just fine. I designed my valley plate and batwing setup for people who want a perfect port match.
Hmmm. I thought the 240 heads extended past the valley slightly requiring a plate set up? I am modestly hoping for around 500 hp - 470 stroker with 240 heads - does the factory style valley plate cover the ports on these heads?

You're running Trick Flows and worried about another 200 bucks?

You're running Trick Flows and worried about another 200 bucks?
Yes, very much so. I've been slowly but surely working on this car for 10 years. I have a crap job ($15/hr), drive a crap car, no cable, no internet, cheapest cell plan (Boost $40/mo) mortgage...... Just got done paying for my Gerst tubular front end kit (took almost 2 yrs) I scrimp on me, not my Dart. But that doesn't mean I don't look for the best option I can afford. Especially when it does nothing more than cover a hole. Knowing that Mopar guys are at a slight disadvantage with availability and cost, just trying to do what I can to keep it in my ballpark......and get done with this thing and enjoy it a little before I get too old.

Yes, very much so. I've been slowly but surely working on this car for 10 years. I have a crap job ($15/hr), drive a crap car, no cable, no internet, cheapest cell plan (Boost $40/mo) mortgage...... Just got done paying for my Gerst tubular front end kit (took almost 2 yrs) I scrimp on me, not my Dart. But that doesn't mean I don't look for the best option I can afford. Especially when it does nothing more than cover a hole. Knowing that Mopar guys are at a slight disadvantage with availability and cost, just trying to do what I can to keep it in my ballpark......and get done with this thing and enjoy it a little before I get too old.

I understand. Are you 100% SURE about the intake port over hang?

#Mopoor.......

Not sure about anything. Saving up for the heads & engine parts now - engine is the last piece. Thought I'd do some checking & acquiring parts.....and info. I sometimes buy the cheaper things to help me realize it's still going and keep me motivated....

Not sure about anything. Saving up for the heads & engine parts now - engine is the last piece. Thought I'd do some checking & acquiring parts.....and info. I sometimes buy the cheaper things to help me realize it's still going and keep me motivated....
No biggie. I'm pretty resourceful and can figure things out (low funds helps with that). I like checking on here & talking about Mopar stuff from time to time. Keeps the fire burning....

You can always build ur own -----------
E11A4F57-80D9-4F09-80C0-4C8FC3BEAD5B.JPG

Not always, but in this case, I may give it a try.....
Does anyone know if the 440 Source pans work with these heads? They say the Edelbrocks & Stealth heads work but not certain how they compare to the 240's? The price is definitely in my budget....plus, no fabbing required.

Does anyone know if the 440 Source pans work with these heads? They say the Edelbrocks & Stealth heads work but not certain how they compare to the 240's? The price is definitely in my budget....plus, no fabbing required.

Might help to post a pic of the area in question , many of us dont know what ur trickflows look like at the deck surface .

Might help to post a pic of the area in question , many of us dont know what ur trickflows look like at the deck surface .
I don't have them yet, still saving up. Just trying to figure things out in the meantime. I get little things along the way to help me remember it's still moving forward....

I think if you are willing to spend time instead of $$$, you could experiment with a stock valley pan to open up the ports to match the Trickflows. For me, I just did not want to spend the time. It did not look like they would require a lot of trimming, but depending on what tools you have, it might be a pain in the butt trying to keep the area flat while still sealing. Stamping and laser cutting would be the way to go- but not for a slight trim job!

I think if you are willing to spend time instead of $$$, you could experiment with a stock valley pan to open up the ports to match the Trickflows. For me, I just did not want to spend the time. It did not look like they would require a lot of trimming, but depending on what tools you have, it might be a pain in the butt trying to keep the area flat while still sealing. Stamping and laser cutting would be the way to go- but not for a slight trim job!
Yah, I imagine trimming that thing would be a pain. Contacting 440 Source & seeing if their plate and gaskets will work. Thanks for all the replies and when I find out, I'll post my findings.......in case it may help some other MoPoor guy.

I talked to the trick flow tech department he told me the 2 piece Valley tray will work but there is a gap between the head and tray that would need to be filled in, and instead of offering for the 240 heads and getting complaints they just offer it for the 270's and fits better

-
Back