413 Motor /Wedge

-

JeffreysDart

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I found a 413 Motor and the seller says it's not a Wedge, can somone tell me what it has to be in order to be a Wedge?

Have B/RB "wedge" heads. A 413 will be a raised block like the 426 wedge and 440. Chrysler production only made a 413 wedge. There were no Hemi headed 413's. The 413 is an early 60's engine and in domestic and industrial applications. Most notably the 413 Max Wedge cars that were proceeded by the 426 Max Wedge Cars that were proceeded by the 426 Hemi. The 413 cam in 4 bbl, and 2x 4 bbl on a cross ram, long ram and inline dual intake.

They are not gold. Pistons can be expensive when found. I think Hughes Engines carries some.

Now, does he have some kind of stroker motor? But again, unless its a destroked 426 Hemi, stroked Poly, or stoked Gen I or III Hemi, it would be a wedge engine, small or big block.

Also considering it is a Chrysler product....

Ok thank you. So the motor I'm looking at is only a 413 block without the Wedge head... If I pick this up, I could get wedge heads? And then I have a 413 wedge?

Every V8 big and small block engine Chrysler made between 1958 and whenever the last small block Magnum was build was a wedge. Every single 413 ever made had wedge heads, just like every 350, 361, 383, 440, 273, 318, 340, 360. Wedge simply refers to the shape of the combustion chamber. It's nothing special.

Now, Max Wedge on the other hand is completely different.

Ok thank you. So the motor I'm looking at is only a 413 block without the Wedge head... If I pick this up, I could get wedge heads? And then I have a 413 wedge?

Like Rusty noted, any big block head will work. 440, 383, 400 etc. will all work.

Max wedge derrives from the size of the intake ports. There is lots more involved, but that's the crux of it. You will need Max Wedge heads and intake which are very sought after and very expensive. Think 3-5K alone for the heads and intake.

Go with some aluminum heads.

ask the seller if it is not a wedge, what is it? all 413 engines are wedge. 413 engines can be bored to 4.25" , and use available pistons.

I'd almost bet its an industrial engine. Count the number of flywheel holes in the crank. I think 6 is car, 8 is industrial/Hemi.

Whats the asking price if I may pry?

Every V8 big and small block engine Chrysler made between 1958 and whenever the last small block Magnum was build was a wedge. Every single 413 ever made had wedge heads, just like every 350, 361, 383, 440, 273, 318, 340, 360. Wedge simply refers to the shape of the combustion chamber. It's nothing special.

Now, Max Wedge on the other hand is completely different.

And so were most other designs, including Ford and Chevy "most" of em

"Max wedge" is a term that gets "INCREDIBLY" over-used. According to the internet, there must be at least 10 times as many "max wedges" as were ever produced!!!

There were actually several versions of the max wedges ,all of them awesome in their day. In "short terms" if they are factory iron heads, and DO have a heat crossover passage, "they ain't." All max wedges came with a huge barely streetable cam and a short "cross ram" manifold. The "longtube" ram manifolds where you can see the individual runners, and which have a rubber crossover are NOT "max" wedges.

Some info here

http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/heads.php

Below is NOT "max" wedge

-long-ram-induction-in-street-form-the-long-tube-intake-us.jpg

Likeness (whether correct or not) of a factory 413 "max wedge" Huge cam, huge head ports, cross ram, two Carters, and gigantic swooping exhaust manifolds

1962Plymouth413MaxWedge_04_700.jpg

426 max with "even better" exhaust

119342a.jp

For a short block? I'd say no, I've seen complete 383's from free to $100, 400 and 440's for $200-$500, again complete with accessories.

My option, its work $100 or less and that depends on what it all has on it.

an 8 bolt flywheel or flexplate is kinda expensive. buy a 440 , I sold a 1971 steel crank 440 a few years ago for 220.

I'm pretty sure I can put a 6 bolt 440 crank in the block with no major machining. I am aware I can get a 440 but I am trying to keep my dart somewhat unique. A 413 could be more exciting then my tiny street 318.

I don't know about the big blocks but industrial small blocks have a different bell housing bolt pattern.

The problem with a 413 is piston cost. And in your case you are either going to toss the crank WHICH YOU PAID FOR or else spend extra to deal with the 8 bolt flange

ALSO this might have the "high mount" heavy truck water pump, so you'll have to thrash around and deal with that.

Pass on it. Far better deals out there.

The "word" 413 or 426 might "sound" magic, but the reality is that an identical built 440 will at least stay with and probably outperform them

And then there are low deck blocks..........

Below is an example of a heavy truck / industrial 413. Several differences. The water pump mounts to the fronts of the heads. This one does NOT have exhaust heated crossover. Instead, COOLANT flows through the crossover passages.

So, crank, heads, water pump and related accessories are all different "at least"

picture_php_pictureid_32702_607f792254a9a276dfe7b15368ca67510d8a0656.jpg

Notice the temp sender in the center of the exhaust manifold? There is COOLANT in there

ramcharger068.jpg

I'm pretty sure I can put a 6 bolt 440 crank in the block with no major machining. I am aware I can get a 440 but I am trying to keep my dart somewhat unique. A 413 could be more exciting then my tiny street 318.

When I sold my 354 I also wanted something unique after having unique . I had looked at the 413's I knew their race history and with the cross rams produced tons of torque . Through my research and talking with old builders , the 413 is really quite limited and as was stated pistons if found are costly . If you want unique I would try and find a 383 RB not many made and hard to come by but parts are available and inner changeable .

-
Back