413 motorhome/truck/industrial motor "chat"

-
D

DocFiberglass

WHAT the heck is that ? ...some people might be saying !! Remember those FUNNY looking monsterous heads ? .. the one with that HUGE water pump, those phunni looking exh mans and that coolant HEATED intake manifold. Yes --- THAT moder.

I just :love8: 'dat motor ... going to PULL a 440 out of a 74 Travco and put in one of these. And I am going to do some SERIOUS rv travel in it.

The Q here is .. is this. Has anyone done any serious R&D on this engine? .. Cyl head, camshaft - and maybe even some 2007 "piston-TECH". Instead of those dished pistons(no compression) yester-TECH !

Now the fuel system is taken-care-of - with the INfamous TQ ...and a StreetMaster intake.

Let us chat ! ... :iconbigg:

I dont know anything about these motors but as far as pistons go if the ring size is available you can have what ever you want made $pecial for you.

Big RV = Small cam I wouldnt bother with the Trick of the month cam for it. Just something small.

Heads, The usual work. Valve job, clean up mill. I think this is a build were Good machine work is more important then what intake is sitting under the Plastic Fantastic.

If you for some reason need a stock intake for the 413 I believe that came off a non-RV motor let me know. I have one collecting dust.

A R .... I was thinking that maybe someone has done some piston work like reverse dome or something like that. I have two sets of 30 over cast flat-top pistons but am open to other suggestions. Small cam ? ... like the 2 barrel 383 ??... there has to be something BESTer than that. I know some Chebby guys who have motorhomes and they have some new-tech grinds for their 454s. Head work? .. I have had some quick talks with a guy up here with a flow-bench. He is thinking about closing UP the intake port a little - to keep the fuel/air mixture up-to-speed at low-rpm - part throttle. I think that the intake is more important than you might imagine. My other choice is the SP2P.

T - THX for the offer but I am looking at only a spread-bore intake.

D L .... did you know that some people have suggested that THAT 413 block is just an UNDERbored 440 block ? That industrial block is a very heavy, high nickel piece.

Bore it .060 and you have a 426 engine.

I do HEAR you ... but finding standard bore 426w pistons is as hard as locating 30 over 413s. I have run a search on eBay for the 426w pistons - and I very rarely come up with the flat-top pistons.

Do you know where there are any? cast are OK .. forged would be BESTer.

Try egge.com a quick look found 426 wedge pistons std bore (.060 over for your 413) for $446.61 a set. I looked up a 63 engine.
No 413 pistons though.

Hope this helps

TopHat

THX t h ... but I think for that kind of $$$ ..I could have a set of reversed dome pistons made ..and forged to boot !

The two sets of pistons I have now are NEW cast pieces ...30 over ...flat tops .... one I paid 150$ delivered to my door the others were new ON a set of recon-ed rods for 200$.

I am trying to look at all options here ....and I had thought that a few people had done some work on this motor. BUTTTT ...it ain't a HP piece at all.

Maybe I will have to be the "first" ... LOL .... :eek:ccasion:..... :happy7:

anyone got pics of one of these motors? never seen one and would like to know how they look at least:D

This might be an idea. I was looking through mu books and noticed that a 383 and a 426 wedge have the same bore 4.250. I don't know if everything else is the same too. Mopar wqs known for just changing the stroke to change displacement. Might be something to look at for an off the shelf piston. Stock 383 bore would be like .062 over for a 413. Just an idea.

TopHat

What is the difference in this plain 413 and the old MAX WEDGE 413's ??? Where they not supposed to be really bad@#$%$ motors ???

Here's the original (except the air cleaner) 413 in my '64 New Yorker....

288733474.jpg

This might be an idea. I was looking through mu books and noticed that a 383 and a 426 wedge have the same bore 4.250. I don't know if everything else is the same too. Mopar wqs known for just changing the stroke to change displacement. Might be something to look at for an off the shelf piston. Stock 383 bore would be like .062 over for a 413. Just an idea.

TopHat

th .. the 383 pistons ARE the ticket for putting a 4.00 or 4.15 "arm" in the block ... :thumbsup:

But the piston CD is way too low for the 3.75 crank in the RB block.

Let me add ...

LOOK at the angled plugs, the way diff exh manifolds, the water pump housing attached to the head !

So why do you like these engines so much? Do they get good mpg or are they just really long lasting? I assume the intake side of the heads is similar to a regular big block and the exhaust side is different to allow better cooling?

If the block really is an underbored 440, surely the easiest/cheapest thing to do is bore it out to 440 size?

Do regular big block heads/timing cover/intake etc swap over to this motor?

So why do you like these engines so much? Do they get good mpg or are they just really long lasting? I assume the intake side of the heads is similar to a regular big block and the exhaust side is different to allow better cooling?

If the block really is an underbored 440, surely the easiest/cheapest thing to do is bore it out to 440 size?

Do regular big block heads/timing cover/intake etc swap over to this motor?

I like the engine - because it is a very good engine for what it is was originally made for ...with a couple of upgrades that I think might help.

They will get good mpg - vs a regular 440 ... because of the better mixing of the A/F at part throttle - low-speed. It is really long lasting because they are built from the factory OVERkill. The heads CAN be bolted onto a 440 ... but you have to use much longer push-rods ...since the head is taller(with a ton more coolant). But the intake is the same as any RB engine.

And yes it would be cheaper to bore that out to 4.32... but then the cylinder walls would be thinner .... and under heavy weight - the block would move-around and lose ring seal.

Yea again ...all the 440 parts bolt up to this motor.

A friend had one in a test mule truck he got from Chrysler-- the thing would pull all day long & never get hot. I heard they also used them to power APU for the Air Force years ago. IMO it'd be fun to apply some modern technology to this old work horse & see just how much more power& endurance you could pull out of this thing. BTW, what's 1 of these things (in rebuildable condition) worth?

A friend had one in a test mule truck he got from Chrysler-- the thing would pull all day long & never get hot. I heard they also used them to power APU for the Air Force years ago.

IMO it'd be fun to apply some modern technology to this old work horse & see just how much more power& endurance you could pull out of this thing.

BTW, what's 1 of these things (in rebuildable condition) worth?

THIS is why I want to do "something" with this. And I think that it would run GREAT in a newer Ram PU .. or the like. But FORGET any HP ... this is just a "grunt" motor at best ... with 1.5" exh valves -- what else could you hope for ?

Modern TECH ? ... better compression, a today-tech cam(they HAVE them for the 454 Chebby!) and a way-better fuel delivery system to mantion a few things ...could do nothing but IMprove the situation. I should mention this .... that I did talk briefly to a guy at the Nats about this motor(I had a "wanted" sign at my spot - and he told me that he had done ALOT of work on the motor. He did not have time to talk ..so he gave me his #. I somehow misplaced it.

How much are these worth ? ..... the fair-market recently ? ... AT that event --- I got in contact with a guy who sold me FOUR motors for 350$ ...and he delivered them to me from 200 miles away !

I heard that there was a guy on one of these BBs ... that was GIVING one away !!

Hey HAY ..... I will take 'em !!

I ran across this thread while looking for something else. There was a turbo option for later model motorhomes with the 440. Interesting setup, 4bbl draw through via a two sided plate under the carb.

-
Back