414 block half fill in waterjackets

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 360 shortblock and a .060 over 360 block stroker clearenced and set up to be a 414 ci monster but it has a half fill in the water jackets. Is this a race only block or could it be used in a street car?? Cooling issues maybe?? I was guessing race only. Am I right? I'd love to use it in my street car because it's all done for stroker rotating assembly which I got with it. What do you think??

Half fill usually means below the freeze plugs. That usually gives no heating problems on the street.

IMO - no. It's not a street engine anymore. 1/2 fill normally means to the top of the freeze plugs because it's 1/2 the height of the cooling jackets - that's roughly the lower 3rd of the cylinder core. If you want to try it - I'd run an oil cooler because the heat transferred to the cooling jackets in that area of the block is from the oil.

Aw, the block is junk...Send it to me prepaid and I'll take it off your hands to put in my racecar. JK, I would be skeptical about running a partiallly filled block on the street.

IMO - no. It's not a street engine anymore. 1/2 fill normally means to the top of the freeze plugs because it's 1/2 the height of the cooling jackets - that's roughly the lower 3rd of the cylinder core. If you want to try it - I'd run an oil cooler because the heat transferred to the cooling jackets in that area of the block is from the oil.

Every block I've ever seen half filled was to the bottom of the freeze plugs. I guess Yankees do it different. lol

Probably a reason for that...lol.
Filling to the bottom of the freeze plugs does very little to support the walls - especially where they would need it - the top 1/2 of the bore. That's what a mopar small block needs and what fill was designed to be used for. It can help on big blocks to add strenght to the webbing - but smallblocks don't need that. A low level fill simply takes away a lot of surface area where heat is transferred out of the oil.

If it was only filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs the fill would only be about half an inch deep. Half fill would be around half an inch over the plugs.
Can this be ran on the street. Yes, with a good cooling system. Probably going to need an oil cooler and an oil temp gauge.

I have an oil cooler already. That's no problem. I'll have to look and see how far it's filled. Guess that would give a better clue. So just pop out freeze plugs to see?? And if they won't just come out I guess that would answer the question for sure, huh?

1/2 fill is not a problem. 90% of the heat is in the heads and the top of the cylinder. Do a few simple cooling mods to the block and your good to go. If you already have an oil cooler you have no worries, just run good quality oil and she will run just fine.

Probably a reason for that...lol.
Filling to the bottom of the freeze plugs does very little to support the walls - especially where they would need it - the top 1/2 of the bore. That's what a mopar small block needs and what fill was designed to be used for. It can help on big blocks to add strenght to the webbing - but smallblocks don't need that. A low level fill simply takes away a lot of surface area where heat is transferred out of the oil.

Yeah ok.

Just went and checked. Freeze plugs didn't pop right out. Didn't do anything except bounce back. Sounds pretty solid behind them. Obviously filled to them or above.

If the heads are off you can stick a rod down the water ports in the block to measure how far down the fill is from the deck surface. You could also shine a light down one of the holes and get a good idea.

If it was only filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs the fill would only be about half an inch deep. Half fill would be around half an inch over the plugs.
Can this be ran on the street. Yes, with a good cooling system. Probably going to need an oil cooler and an oil temp gauge.

I talked to my friend today that's done fills on all his builds and you're exactly right. For some reason I had thought to the bottom of the freeze plugs, but I was wrong.

Duh. Why didn't I think of that. Guess cause I'm a body man not an engine mechanic. LOL.

Just went and checked. Most all places filled to within 1 1/2-2" from the top. Would seem like more of a 3/4 fill to me.

-
Back