416 windage woes, brent johnson. help!

-

p/schallenger

Reaction score
Brent or anybody out there, I need help with my windage tray. It doesn't fit an more. Anybody have any ideas on what to do. Any pics or help would be appreciated.

What is happening,is it scrapping the crank?,does not bolt up,what type of problem?If it fit before,and what parts have been replaced or changed,is it the type that bolts to the oil pan rail or the main cap bolts,Mrmopartech

The rods hit it. I just put a 416 together that is brand new and I have never had it together before now. It has eagle h-beam rods with 7/16 cap screws. It bolts to the main caps. If I could I would just buy one that fits between the block and oil pan.

Start spacing the pan down with washers to see the limit you need to get it to clear.Then either make a spacer or have bolts welded to the mian cap bolts and adjust it that way,Mrmopartech

You increased the stroke, and the rods are wider/thicker at the bolts, so it is going to hit. I believe the best scenario is the Milodon windage tray for the 4" crank. I dont know if MP makes one, but the small block design is marginal to begin with. A scraper is the best way to keep the oil off the crank throws.

I just spaced the one on my 408. Easy! Used some blue Loctite on the nuts and bolted the pan on. It took a little bending and prodding but it works fine.

Dave

I havent looked..I use the Milodon tray...lol. But, the scraper is the best way, once it's fit properly, becuase there is little chance of the oil getting held up on drain back. The factory style small block trays should have the slots enlarged for that reason if the engine is to be kept in the higher rpm ranges for a while.

-
Back