440 build need ideas

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can you bb experts give me an idea on how to get around 500hp out of a 440?

Will I need a new forged crank? New rods? I'd like to run a set of edelbrock aluminum heads. What do you guys suggest for cam and pistons?

I'd like to run pump gas if possible.

What edelbrock heads do you recommend? I have a set of schumaker tri y headers want to use as well.

Budget build? Cast crank should be good for up to 5-550. That power is easy to come by. What year 440? The compression distance will vary. Stroker kits with iron heads sometimes boost the comp too high. I would start with the top end. I went with trick flow 240’s and the rest of their pack. I should have went stroker, but went factory stroke with K1 rods and kb icons. There are cheaper heads that will get you there and retain the factory rockers. All depends on what you are really looking to drive. Auto? Stick? Is the trans ready? Are you able to pop the wrist pins and reinstall pistons on factory rods?

Budget build yes but I'd like to use good parts. I'd like a good set of aluminum heads need to work with my headers, I don't have a block or anything yet so this will all need to be sourced. This will be an auto trans. I'm going to have a local machine shop do the machine work and find someone with more experience to assist me in the build.

Will I need a new forged crank? New rods? I'd like to run a set of edelbrock aluminum heads. What do you guys suggest for cam and pistons?

What edelbrock heads do you recommend? I have a set of schumaker tri y headers want to use as well.

500 HP? 440? Here...........and remember, 500 HP in a street car can be pretty dangerous..........

STEALTH Head Update.... A "lowly" 440 Street Engine

And if you'll settle for 490 HP, use an Edelbrock RPM head all you will need is the first page of this thread.........

'Pop's Engine' another 440 on the dyno.

Last edited:

500 hp is easy. Just rebuild a junkyard 440 with 10:1 forged pistons and then bolt on a set of Trick Flow 240 heads. A modest cam is all you need. Use a Performer RPM intake if you have the room. If it was me I'd top it off with a Holley Sniper. Have fun.

500HP is cake with a 440, IF you have fully ported 906-452 open chamber heads with 2.14/1.81" valves and milled aprox .060" on the chamber side and .072" on the intake face (so the intake lines up perfectly), or Edelbrock RPM/E-Street or Trick Flow 240 heads, etc. The pistons need to be zero decked, or close, with the aluminum heads and maybe .020" negative deck with the iron heads. You'll want 10.5:1+ compression with the aluminum and 10:1 max with the iron heads. Depending on the weight of the vehicle and gearing, etc., you can run a RPM dual plane (heavy) or Torker/M1/Street Dominator etc. (light). A moderate solid flat tappet cam like 250-260*@.050" with .550-.580" lift will do the job, 108LSA for track duty and 112LSA for more of a street setup (idle/vacuum, etc.). I have made this kind of power on a 446" with iron heads and a custom version XE285HL (245/255*@.050", .545" lift, 112*LSA) hydraulic spec'ed by me. I used heavy TRW 6pack pistons, so you'd do better with SRP, ICON, etc. forgings (weight savings), and OEM LY rods with ARP bolts. I used Crane iron adjustable rockers and 3/8 pushrods, at this level you don't even need roller gear. With good flowing heads and decent compression, you need 1 7/8 headers really, Hookers seem to work nice, but the Schumachers will probably do @500HP. The 5300lb. C-body wagon my 446 is in runs 12s in the 1/4mi, and it has cheapie E-body headman shortys, due to the insane price for decent C-body headers. Use a 850 Holley DP or if your car is portly (like mine), use the 950HP, which actually has smaller venturis for more velocity. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for tagging me in fellas. unfortunately big block cores dried up. Unless that vendor has an old stock one, we've moved on to the gen III hemi, and some new High Po 408's in the works.

Yes, I confirmed they are no longer available. The search continues!

Keep your eye on craigslist. I picked up two standard bore 440 blocks for $200 each on CL last year.
DSC_3338 (Large).JPG

Yes, I confirmed they are no longer available. The search continues!

Don't forget to look in back yards and scrap places for old motorhomes, New Yorkers, etc. Scrap is pretty low right now and you'd be surprised how cheap you can get one for still. Motorhomes are a ***** to deal with, but sometimes the best low mileage (albeit hard miles) engines can be found there. I spent the '80s and '90s buying as many cheap C-bodies as I could afford, and by the 2000s, it was usually tired Winnebagos that could be had cheap.

A stroker 383 or 400 will also be perfectly suitable for a 500-550hp build.
They made more 383’s than any other big block buy a huge margin...... so it “should” be reasonably easy to track one of those blocks down.

9.5-10:1cr, and a set of E-streets will easily get it done.
Cam choice would tied to the exhaust/gears/converter.

The aftermarket crank and rods to build the stroker will add to the cost though.

A stroker 383 or 400 will also be perfectly suitable for a 500-550hp build.
They made more 383’s than any other big block buy a huge margin...... so it “should” be reasonably easy to track one of those blocks down.

9.5-10:1cr, and a set of E-streets will easily get it done.
Cam choice would tied to the exhaust/gears/converter.

The aftermarket crank and rods to build the stroker will add to the cost though.

That's exactly what we did for a friend's '68 Charger build. We used a 383 block and a cut-down steel 440 crank, 440 rods and Ross flat-top pistons. Edelbrock 76cc E-Streets with upgraded (dual 8005A Isky) springs and a Comp 306S Magnum .555" solid camshaft. He wasn't really a MoPar guy, he just loved the Charger, so I had him go big block and we used the 383 because it was basically free for the taking, and I had plenty of rods. A guy gave him the steel 440 crank from the trunk of a '74 Satellite he was crushing. You never know!!

I found a motor home 440 not far from me for 275. It's a 77 but basically a short block. I won't need anything but the block. The owner says it has some rust on the cylinders. What do you guys think?

received_667198204083504.jpeg

received_251350239223692.jpeg

received_2523752724540174.jpeg

received_233486338039864.jpeg

received_495439671126273.jpeg

I found a motor home 440 not far from me for 275. It's a 77 but basically a short block. I won't need anything but the block. The owner says it has some rust on the cylinders. What do you guys think?

View attachment 1715489655

View attachment 1715489656

View attachment 1715489657

View attachment 1715489658

View attachment 1715489659

Get that! If it's not cracked or something drastic, it's well worth that. Get everything you can, heads, intake, sheetmetal covers everything!!! Bore it just enough to clean up, .030 or .040"

-
Back