440 factory heads foodchain....

-

1971Scamp440

Never forget 9/11
Reaction score
So I just got my 440 torn down and I have 452 heads. I was wondering where the 452 heads rate in the big block factory heads food chain..they worth anything/ a ****?

They are actually more desirable for a street motor than the 906s, due to the hardened exhaust seats. Generally speaking any open chambered head is more desirable than the old closed chambered, including the "legendary" 915 heads. Only Max Wedge heads would be worth more (but, not necessarily the best for some builds).

They are actually more desirable for a street motor than the 906s, due to the hardened exhaust seats. Generally speaking any open chambered head is more desirable than the old closed chambered, including the "legendary" 915 heads. Only Max Wedge heads would be worth more (but, not necessarily the best for some builds).

Any open chamber head is BETTER than the 915 ??

I'll have what he's smoking :toothy10:

The best exh port I'm aware of are the 346 heads. Early versions of the 452s. If I have to use an iron open chamber head I use them first, followed by the 906 Fs. But the bonuses of running a closed chamber design far outweigh the minor differences in the factory ports on 915s and anything later.

915 heads are the best bb head, except MW heads. The close chamber and same flow as the 906 set it apart, they usually sell in the $200 to 300 range needing a rebuild. The 906 / 452 ect, are all about $50 to $75 heads.

As I understand it, that's what the "experts" are saying.

Jim I'm not looking for a pissing match , but look at all the aftermarket performance heads , the ONLY open chamber head is one version of the Ebrock RPM , everything else is closed chamber.

If someone is STUCK using stock Iron heads they all have their good and bad points. For my builds I have to use 906's because of class rules , for stock untouched there is one casting that flows a little better than the others , but once you port them they are all the same , core shift being the great equalizer. as far as the later open chambers , the 452 intake port has less short turn so it's EASIER to port , and I think fast68plymouth said it had a better exh port as cast ...

I just worked on a set of Paul Rossi street fighters that I bought in 1989 which is the 452 police motorhome head .. it has the 5/8 taper seat plug and the extra cooling passages around the plugs ... , one was an NOS casting , the core shift on these heads was the worst I've seen on all the stock iron junk I've had to work with .

So to answer my original question wheere the 452's are on the food chain...it would go something like this?(In general)..915, 906 then 452?

Thats about right, anytime you can come across 915's grab them they do make a great street head,

Thats about right, anytime you can come across 915's grab them they do make a great street head,

Keep in mind there were 2 versions. One w/ the 1.60" exhaust and one with the 1.74" (HP). The smaller valve heads can easily be opened up to accept even a 1.81" exhaust valve. The ports are the same.

-
Back