440 head gasket question.

-

1967Barracuda

Reaction score
Why does the copper head gasket feature holes for the lower water ports and the steel shim head gaskets do not? Please view all pictures.

20240809_204512.jpg

20240809_204516.jpg

20240809_204521.jpg

All the holes are there, I guess I'm not seeing what you see.

Last edited:
A 1967 model year 440 915 closed chamber head on the internet does not have the water ports where my 1978 late model 440 452 heads have them. I will go with the copper gaskets. Thanks everyone.

Screenshot_20240810_012255_Chrome.jpg

The way the system is designed for proper coolant flow, those two holes you have circled in blue on the 452 head, should be blocked by the gasket.

The coolant path is designed to go from the front of the block to the rear, then up into the head thru the large hole at the rear, then from the rear of the head to the front, then down into the block thru the large hole in the front, which connects to the water pump port.

Do not agree. The holes were added to later versions of the head. Why would that be added if they served no purpose?

I’ve once read “somewhere” that the extra holes were added to prevent steam pockets in heavy duty / industrial applications. I’m thinking that the head gaskets still only had a fractional sized hole (1/8 or 3/16, IIRC) to allow for said steam to go into the head. I’m guessing they were sized on the large size for tolerance stack up, but also, because it’s less iron used per head. I would still use the SCE Gasket, but I’d possibly consider putting a nutsert or other similar pinch rivetin the hole to reduce the volume of coolant that goes through the holes. Of course, only if it doesn’t interfere with the head gasket to deck and goes fully through both passages without issue.

Why did you choose a 93 thou thick head gasket (Titan ICS # s643893) for an already low compression engine?
1723387448315.png

That would run safely on 87 (or even worse, if it’s available) octane.

Why did you choose a 93 thou thick head gasket (Titan ICS # s643893) for an already low compression engine?
View attachment 1716287819
That was all summit racing had in stock with the holes for the extra water ports.

I will go with the steel shim head gaskets as I found the oem head gaskets to this late model model blocked off the water ports.

It’s all about water flow, too many holes water doesn’t stay in the head long enough to carry the heat of combustion away, which in turn the head runs hotter

.....oooorr it could be that the coolant takes the path of least resistance, largely bypassing the rear cylinders causing them to run hotter,....see post #9..... :rolleyes:

This is where we need Wyrmingrider ( not sure that is his exact screen name) he worked for Chrysler developing MH and heavy application engines .

-
Back