440 in a body radiator

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I will be putting a 440 int0 a 74 dart this spring with the Schumacher 6/rb kit. Any Idea what radiator to use? There isn't that much info on it that I can find. Also what fan are people using? Thanks.

with the HDK kit we are using a '70 challenger 26" radiator (AC version) with the Mopar P2998326 fan shroud, and a 19" flexlite fan 400-1719

the part number for the radiator from griffin that i got is 5-70058, which has the auto trans line hookups. the non auto trans version from griffin is 5-00058. those are both aluminum radiators very pricey units. but they are stock fitment for a 1970 big block challenger with AC/26" radiator

i'm pretty sure the HDK kit places the engine in the same physical postion as the schumacher mods

p.s. that radiator has driver side lower hose hookup, it's for a water pump with driver side inlet

Really nice build, I feel your pain with the one man show. I have been trying to get help putting the windshield in for 2 months, driving me nuts. I guess that I just did not search the site well enough, kind of feel dumb. Thanks to all for the reply's.

yeah. you could probably get a stock radiator of the same type for the '70 chally ac cars that are 26", (non aluminum) for much less. the main thing is be careful with the height of the radiator. not all 26's have the same height. if it's too tall it wont fit in an abody. and the lower hose has to be on the correct side for your water pump

there is a thread over here that might give you some info too:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=79077

I noticed there are 26 and 22 in wide rads, where do you measure from? The core or the mounting bolt holes. I have plenty of room on either side of the 6 radiator. Just been out of this so long that I forgot more than I knew. Just retired from USAF after 25 yrs. This car is kind of a get out of the house and do something project away from the wife. Bought it for my daughter, but she wanted to paint it blue, she now drives a Saturn.

I've used 2 Be Cool radiators. both of them in 440 darts. I've been very happy with both and they are bolt in units. You can buy one that will reatain the battery. The other requires relocating it to the trunk.

Get an aluminum whatever you do. Also, this is an area you don't want to skimp. Cooling is everything.

Ive heard great things about Champion Radiators and there are a few really good threads on here and even a dealer here. Affordable and look quality.

22" inch opening in the cowling, All A bodies have a 22" inch opening. In B bodies the GTX is 26", or any B or C body with A/C is 26". This doesn't apply to your car. if you want to get the car going, use any 66-69 B' Body 22" radiator with a 383 or 440 application. it will bolt into the dart, and has the correct outlet for the 440 engine. The 22" GTX radiator in 68' was a three core radiator, 383's frequently were two. If your going for a lot of power, this radiator may or may not cool the engine adequately in a warm climate., It would be a good idea to recore any original radiator you Install.

I tried the stock radiator route in a 440 car. It's marginal at best.

oldmopardude - you are actually wrong in stating that all A-Bodies had 22" openings. From 73 & up, if the car had N51 (max cooling) it got a 26" radiator/opening. This was commonly seen on cars that were equipped with performance engines and/or air conditioning. So, even if is 74 has a /6 it is still possible for it to have a 26" radiator from the factory.

Sorry about that, I didn't notice the year in the post. (Damn dirty glasses) When I hear 440 in a dart. being old, I think of my 68 or 69. You are correct. if that is the case, then a 26" should work. They cool a 440 much better than a 22". I'll pay more attention next time!LoL

FWIW, I got a 22" 3-row (stock style) from US Radiator to cool my 440 with a proper shroud and a solid fan. When I built the blower motor there was no room for any kind of fan so I switched to a 22" aluminum crossflow (2 row) unit from Summit with an electric pusher fan. To my surprise it cools as good or better (with greater demands) than the first setup.

Any one have any experience with these?
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/281148839133?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]Radiator Fans 70 73 Plymouth Barracuda 68 73 Dodge Charger Challenger V8 | eBay[/ame]

I am using a B body 26 inch 4 core in an A body with a 521 stroker and a 160 stat no heating issues

Me and friends have been using champion radiators. 4 row in a 26 or 22 is about $280 shipped on eBay. Big block or small block thrashing the cars at the track. Never see more than 180 degrees. They work great and are made very well. Look like factory radiator but huge cores.

I ran a 440 with an E-body 26" 2 core small block radiator with no issues. My motor had the passenger side lower hose so it hooked right up using the small block hoses.

nice vid 70Duster440. Need some meats on the back to hook it up. Are you in WA state or DC? If state bring that thing to Renegade in eastern and line em up with my 71' 440 swinger LOL. As long as you cant get traction its on. Nice Ride man. Putting together an 11:1 360 for my other swinger. having a hard time finding a radiator that will fit without relocating the battery and still cool the car. stock Slant 6 radiator in car is having a hard time keeping up with the slightly modified 318 in it now. 220+ at the track and it falls on its face off the light above 200 degrees.

BTW this 440 has a two row stock chevy (sorry it works) mid 80s radiator 26". Battery to the trunk. wide blade flex fan, no shroud, and electric in front set to run above 170. Runs 180, 190 max in 100 degree weather here in the desert.

I've used 2 Be Cool radiators. both of them in 440 darts. I've been very happy with both and they are bolt in units. You can buy one that will reatain the battery. The other requires relocating it to the trunk.

Get an aluminum whatever you do. Also, this is an area you don't want to skimp. Cooling is everything.
I strongly agree,go alum and you will not regret it...many ways to go here and many price ranges,just be sure of your fitament and hose size/locations....you want to get it right the 1st time and spend the coinage just 1 time....

-
Back