440 oil pan and pump in a 72 dart swinger

-

jshank1991

Reaction score
I'm building a 440 for a 72 dart swinger. Was seeing what everyone's opinion was on oil pan brand and oil pumps. Read good things about milodon and melling oil pumps. Not heard much about moroso oil pans and other brands.

I'm building a 440 for a 72 dart swinger. Was seeing what everyone's opinion was on oil pan brand and oil pumps. Read good things about milodon and melling oil pumps. Not heard much about moroso oil pans and other brands.
If you’re looking for a oil pan that’s stock just buy the reproduction big block A-body one that Mancini’s or Van’s sells.

Lots of oil pans won't fit that application so be very careful about how you go about spending your money. I had to try 3 or 4 oil pans on my Duster before I found one that worked.

Best advice is do what you're doing. Ask what everyone has had good luck with, because as mentioned, even a lot of pans advertised to fit do not. @pittsburghracer might can help you here.

I bought the 440source pan that was supposed to clear the idler arm but still had to smash it with a hammer for clearance

i went with the Mancini power package for A body. Probably could have done it cheaper piecing it together from 440 source and such, but I really liked one click and done. Everything fit perfect on my 71, but keep in mind I and using 73 idler/pitman and cross link or whatever its called.

Mancini A-Body Oil Pan Power Package

I've put a few 440s in A body's. Including the 72 in my avatar. I used a c body pan and pickup. I didn't spin the engine past 5500-5700. Was a mild 440. Used a melling stock pump but didn't like the oil pressure ( another story) I put a high pressure pump in and had 30# at idle hot and 70-75 # on the gas.
I did use a deep sump (7qt) for a 440 Duster and had no issues with the pitman arm hitting the pan. Thats not always the case.
I'm putting a 383 in a Demon right now and using a moroso deep sump 7 qt pan. I have an extra C body pan and pickup if you're looking for one.
Good luck!

IMG_1119.jpg

I'm ok with using 73 to 74 pitman/idler arm. Was just wanting everyone's input on what they used for there 440 conversations.

Best advice is do what you're doing. Ask what everyone has had good luck with, because as mentioned, even a lot of pans advertised to fit do not. @pittsburghracer might can help you here.

I’m probably not much help as I haven’t ran anything with a big block and stock K member since the 1990’s. I ran Morosso deep sump pans back then that were nothing fancy but seemed to work ok. They took me into the 9.80’s and we raced a lot more back then. Then I moved into a dragster style oil pan then several “Charlie’s oil pans”. I still have three of those type pans and being the hoarder I am think I have two Morosso pans in my shop attic too. My heads up car needed some modifications to get my 572 and Charlie’s pan on it even with an aftermarket k member on it as this car was set up for a small block.

I'm gonna use a sb k frame from a 71 dart with Schumacher big block motor mounts that go on a sb k frame. I know its not all gonna falk in place perfectly but looking to see everyone's opinions on what to use im building the engine at the end of this month and want to go ahead and put on the pan and pump.

Used the same k member and mount kit. I had to use some shims to get the engine to sit right. Also used a /6 kmember. Easy peasy

Mine was same, 71 SB K member with schumacher mounts. Did not need the shims, however, I found the engine went in alot cleaner the second time with trans already in there, vs the first time when i stabbed engine and trans together. When i put the engine in by itself, I used the biscuits as sliders and slammed it together with a jack under the front of the trans to line it up. It looked like the benny hill show doing it myself but was very rewarding when it sat perfect

I just picked up the Hemi pan from 440source to replace my Moroso deep pan. I smacked the Moroso one on the ground enough times to rattle my nerves about cracking the pan.

Here's a comparison pic. Moroso pan has exactly 3" of ground clearance on my car, the Hemi pan gives me 4.25". I had to switch to the 73+ pitman, idler and centerlink to clear the new pan.

20240209_162211.jpg

-
Back