440 swap

-
Hey 'cuda620 if your handy ill send you the dimensions of the mounts & how to do it.
Thanks man! I probably could. But want a simpler way this time around. I’ll use the trans dapt or a motor plate. A stroke 4 years ago kinda limited me. But not ready to quit yet.

Thanks man! I probably could. But want a simpler way this time around. I’ll use the trans dapt or a motor plate. A stroke 4 years ago kinda limited me. But not ready to quit yet.
I understand. Yikes..Sorry about the stroke!
Taker easy my friend & never give up

I think I’m doing the motor plate myself, don’t know if I’m going to run a mid or not. Seems to be the easiest route

Yeah, they work
What was your process, I’m thinking mount trans, mock in engine, Mark the frame then pull it back out and weld in mounting brackets the swing it back in and mount plate to bracket and weld it where I can, also don’t know if I want to run a mid plate or not

What was your process, I’m thinking mount trans, mock in engine, Mark the frame then pull it back out and weld in mounting brackets the swing it back in and mount plate to bracket and weld it where I can, also don’t know if I want to run a mid plate or not
The way I did it back 25 years ago before knew about swap mounts was like you said. I just put a bare junk 361 block with oil pan & pump housing with a guttet 727 both I had for mock ups. The tranny mount bolted in, & I used a drive line so I could square it up & with the block held up with my hoist.
I took a body saw and a carbide, trimmed til it sat down close to normal. Then modified big block truck mounts. Pulled the block & trans out & welded up the loose ends for stiffening. It was a long time ago, it was an ordeal but the mounts make it a breeze, I'm close to doing my 70 dart soon, low deck 471 & I'm going to see if I can stuff it back 2 inches further for tire to header clearance but that depends on how much work that will entail. Since I have to build a drive line anyways that part I'm not worried about.

What's your engine build going to be like?
Stockish ? Modified ? High modified ? Race ?

More like a street/strip build I guess you could say, I know the plate will ride a little rough but that’s not a huge deal.

I posted before , I have a race balanced 505 on a motor plate ,.600 lift street roller , and cant feel the engine running , can definitly hear it tho.
I know a guy that had a low 9 second duster that ran a front plate only , w/a stock rubber trans mount, and he had no problems at all .

I have a 440, whiplash 440 cam, factory build engine, no fancy balancing at all, tunnel ram 660's, and am using the front plate from Mancini (member here makes them) and stock rubber mount on trans. There are no shakes, vibrations, etc. Street use only. I used a water pump gasket on both sides of the plate with some Right Stuff on both sides of each gasket. One thing that made it all very nice is using studs for the water pump/engine plate. I am very happy with this setup.

20191102_160039.jpg

I have a 440, whiplash 440 cam, factory build engine, no fancy balancing at all, tunnel ram 660's, and am using the front plate from Mancini (member here makes them) and stock rubber mount on trans. There are no shakes, vibrations, etc. Street use only. I used a water pump gasket on both sides of the plate with some Right Stuff on both sides of each gasket. One thing that made it all very nice is using studs for the water pump/engine plate. I am very happy with this setup.

View attachment 1715550942
Man what even are the round tubes you have welded on, looked gorgeous. I was just going to weld in the frame mounting L brackets that Mancini also sells and mount the plate to those

Man what even are the round tubes you have welded on, looked gorgeous. I was just going to weld in the frame mounting L brackets that Mancini also sells and mount the plate to those

Just some tubing I put a small bend in. There is a plate on the firewall and welds directly to the frame out front. I put them in, sometimes referred to as J bars, for support of the shock towers once the inner fenders were taken out. I welded on tabs to those bars and drilled the plate to bolt to them. Very solid and no shaking or vibration whatsoever at idle or 6000rpm.

More like a street/strip build I guess you could say, I know the plate will ride a little rough but that’s not a huge deal.
Just use polyurethane bushings for the frame rails. I'm doing a street/strip build too, although a few on here say it's too much to enjoy on the street. I am moving to a city with a track fairly close

Just use polyurethane bushings for the frame rails. I'm doing a street/strip build too, although a few on here say it's too much to enjoy on the street. I am moving to a city with a track fairly close
Can you explain where your putting these bushings? I might be sounding like an idiot but this is my first time lol

Can you explain where your putting these bushings? I might be sounding like an idiot but this is my first time lol
They would be where you bolt the plate to the mounts on the frame rails. You'll have to see if you can find some pics if that doesn't make sense. Asking questions makes you smarter lol, you're not an IDIOT for asking.
Idiots assume when they have no idea

They would be where you bolt the plate to the mounts on the frame rails. You'll have to see if you can find some pics if that doesn't make sense. Asking questions makes you smarter lol, you're not an IDIOT for asking.
It makes sense lol I would just need to see what kind of bushing as the ones I’ve seen from Mancini are just flat steel.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think Schumacher was the only game in town?
Depending on your K frame:
Engine Performance & Vehicle Customizing Products From Hedman | Hedman Performance Group
Engine Performance & Vehicle Customizing Products From Hedman | Hedman Performance Group
And other options are out there, too; if these don't cover your application. Not to mention that its not very difficult to mod your existing K frame to accept standard B/RB engine mounts. We did it all the time back before Schumacher even existed... Motor plates can be a bear on the street, although some will argue that point.

Nice to have an alternative or alternatives to and forthe Schumacher Mounts... I mostly just typed this reply for other people who might be searching the googles for "alternative to Schumacher", etc.
We just did a conversion using the Schumacher stuff last Winter.

Been gone awhile... stroke issues. I’m using a 67 A body 318 K member. Any ideas on mounts to mount the B engine or dabbing engine mounts to fit or just mount tranny and fab up mounts where the engine sits? Interesting stuff on the motor plate with thru bolts and insulating bushings too. Heard Mike and family from Schumachers was dealing with cancer issues too. Sad....

Been gone awhile... stroke issues. I’m using a 67 A body 318 K member. Any ideas on mounts to mount the B engine or dabbing engine mounts to fit or just mount tranny and fab up mounts where the engine sits? Interesting stuff on the motor plate with thru bolts and insulating bushings too. Heard Mike and family from Schumachers was dealing with cancer issues too. Sad....
Sorry to hear that, I hope you're doing better.

-
Back