46re questions

-

volaredon

Reaction score
How much free play should the low reverse lever have when adjusted to the factory setting of 2 turns out from 72 in/lb? With new band and a superior brand super servo I only have about 3/16".
Also does changing the lever from a 2.5 to a 3.2 in the front band change the number of turns out on the front band adjustment spec?
Much new, but basically stock. Mostly had to replace all the clutches and steels ("forward" clutch smoked) both bands, forward clutch drum/ scored, plastic spacer in forward clutch melted, all brass, all thrust bearings, but added sonnax/superior super servos and billet accumulator with dual seal rings, a few minor upgrades in the valve body like the transgo throttle plug, etc. I've never had to spend as much on a 46re overhaul as I had to spend on replacing parts in this one
also replaced the receiver for the OD clutch piston, both sprags, (one in od and one on rear of front case) the od piston, the front clutch piston, the Belleville spring In the "forward" clutch. 300k on the trans refreshed by me 60-70k ago, and had been rebuilt at least once before I owned it (I bought at 214k)

Last edited:
As a side note I had a junkyard sourced trans in there for the 3 months it lasted, this is the original trans I rebuilt to put back in after that junkyard trans died/ a trans I "had to have" out of a u pull because it looked like a very fresh rebuilt/ absolutely clean and fresh machinery grey paint, etc.
when i went to swap pans, and put the original pan back on the original trans, I noticed that the low reverse band there, had alot more "free play" on the apply lever than my original (to the truck) and freshly rebuilt one does.
And I went back and retorqued the new band, etc and rechecked/ recounted my turns out from 72 in/lb more than once. I didn't check how many turns out the junkyard trans was, I may still do that.
I've done a few of these tranny's over the years but haven't done one in a few years. I second guessed myself on this one more than I think I did when I rebuilt my first 727 back in about 1986/87ish.... I don't know why. I kept disassembling and reassembling different things on this one more than on any other trans I have rebuilt in my life. I have no idea why. I had both a 97 FSM and the ATSG book on these exact tranny's open and in front of me the whole way. Not like this was my first rodeo either.

-
Back