4bt 72 Dart

-
Isn't there a newer model 4BT that has a balance shaft which helps a lot with the shaky idle?

The 4bt is sold with a balance shaft in an agriculture application. It adds even more height to the engine. I have seen one one time when I worked at Cummins. It’s there so it can run at a high rpm, of what I don’t know though.

hmm seems a tad light. the spring rates on my coil overs for my 440 are 375#. That 4B weighs substantially more. That said, I'd go with what Denny says for now, can always swap them out easily later.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking also, but Denny did say that the manufacturer says they want the spring to compress so much. And, like you said I can go higher if need be. I have had coil overs on a Neon and they come to stiff and it bounces really bad, which I don’t want. I want good handling, but I don’t need to carve out corners with it, or rattle my teeth out. I just got my wisdom teeth out, I don’t need to loose any more.:lol:

The 4bt is sold with a balance shaft in an agriculture application. It adds even more height to the engine. I have seen one one time when I worked at Cummins. It’s there so it can run at a high rpm, of what I don’t know though.
its used in combines mostly, skid steers and escavators etc

Oh yes, it will get a stronger tranny. I doubt the OD would survive for long. That's why this thread is so interesting, I imagine I'll have to follow these footsteps closely with all the suspension, rear end, brakes, etc getting an upgrade.

Oh yes, it will get a stronger tranny. I doubt the OD would survive for long. That's why this thread is so interesting, I imagine I'll have to follow these footsteps closely with all the suspension, rear end, brakes, etc getting an upgrade.

There is a web site call ( 4bt swaps ) and they tons of info like on this site. They don’t only deal in 4bt’s, but also in 6bt’s and Isuzu engines as well, and some others I can can’t think of.

Clearly, I'm late to this party but let me jump on the bandwagon of Very Neat Build. This will be so cool.

I've been in trucking my whole life, and I'm a huge fan of diesels and torque. To reference the above, I'm following your build for ideas to drop a diesel into my D150. It's an 82, currently a slant/4-speed OD/8-1/4 with a bad engine. A diesel would turn this into a powerhouse with good mileage and a stick. What's not to like?

A photo of the truck on the way home.

View attachment 1715250978

They made that body style with a cummins. WHy not buy a first gen cummins and safe yourself all the work and money?

They made that body style with a cummins. WHy not buy a first gen cummins and safe yourself all the work and money?
Cause that’s boring. :D

Also, depending on what you want, they never made it. For instance, I want a single cab, shortbed, 2wd, lowered 1st gen Cummins. And a crew cab, shortbed, 4x4, 1st gen, Cummins. They never offered either of those trucks from the factory.

Amazing build so far! Can't wait to see video's once you have the final install finished.

Cause that’s boring. :D

Also, depending on what you want, they never made it. For instance, I want a single cab, shortbed, 2wd, lowered 1st gen Cummins. And a crew cab, shortbed, 4x4, 1st gen, Cummins. They never offered either of those trucks from the factory.

Agreed, those combos weren't available. Just easier ways to get from A to B is what I was getting at. For instance, put the shortbed on the crew cab cummins. or put the shortbed on the standard cab longbed cummmins.

I'm starting a cummins swap myself. It is going in an international travelette. I wanted a crew cab 61-71 sweptside dodge but they are too hard to find and too much money when you do.

The Cummins would be nice in my 87 slant 6 regular cab short-bed for mileage, but probably easier to swap in some variation of a V8 - 273/318/340/360/later Hemi

The Cummins would be nice in my 87 slant 6 regular cab short-bed for mileage, but probably easier to swap in some variation of a V8 - 273/318/340/360/later Hemi

The Mercedes 5 Cylinder Turbo Diesel would be a decent option too. You can find them in everything from 80’s to Present cars, vans, etc (even the Dodge Sprinter vans).

I put one in my ‘92 Dakota with an AWD Conversion, all in all the whole swap cost me $400 and now the truck averages 33mpg and has enough power to burn all 4 tires through the first 2 gears, and enough torque to break factory Dakota parts (like the Spool Motor Mounts for example)

I got the front end in, now I need to reinstall the engine to remake some motor mounts.

0C82738B-FE28-4EDE-8230-EA421A169E8A.jpeg

C4E3F282-4087-41CD-903C-C7909C23D759.jpeg

I have an old customer that put one in a Chevy pick up. It runs like a scalded dog and passes all the diesel pumps a lot.

Sorry, I have not got to much farther. One, witch most can relate to, is that I had a baby in April, so I can’t work the overtime like used to, to help pay for the project. Two, I found more rust in it than I expected. So, the whole truck and lower quarters needs to be replaced, and I don’t want to just slap it together, but I still needed a car to replace my everyday junker car. So, I swapped a 6bt into a truck I had, that I don’t have to worry about where it’s parked, or what it looks like. I will be getting back onto this in a bit hopefully. Sorry for the delay.

Just picked up on your build! Watching this one for sure "Subscribed". Have thought, if god forbid my truck was totaled, about putting my slightly BOMB'ed ISB into my Duster. Cut fenders behind wheel openings, add 16", full frame it, D60 rear, straight front axle, short stack right off the turbo coming out the hood. You know instead of an old skool "Gasser" it would be an "Oiler"... Hopefully nothing ever happens to my truck...

Sorry, I have not got to much farther. One, witch most can relate to, is that I had a baby in April, so I can’t work the overtime like used to, to help pay for the project. Two, I found more rust in it than I expected. So, the whole truck and lower quarters needs to be replaced, and I don’t want to just slap it together, but I still needed a car to replace my everyday junker car. So, I swapped a 6bt into a truck I had, that I don’t have to worry about where it’s parked, or what it looks like. I will be getting back onto this in a bit hopefully. Sorry for the delay.
No apology needed. I’m glad to hear everything is good. And congratulations on the new baby!!

Btw, any info/pics on the Cummins swapped truck? I’m really wanting to buy a 73-76 step side dodge and was thinking last night that a 4bt swap would be sweet and that’s what reminded me that I hadn’t seen anything from this build in a long time. Lol

Just picked up on your build! Watching this one for sure "Subscribed". Have thought, if god forbid my truck was totaled, about putting my slightly BOMB'ed ISB into my Duster. Cut fenders behind wheel openings, add 16", full frame it, D60 rear, straight front axle, short stack right off the turbo coming out the hood. You know instead of an old skool "Gasser" it would be an "Oiler"... Hopefully nothing ever happens to my truck...
Don’t wait for something to happen to your truck! But another and do the swap!!
:steering::thumbsup::usflag:

Don’t wait for something to happen to your truck! But another and do the swap!!
:steering::thumbsup::usflag:
My Duster has been sitting in my garage since we moved here in 93, oh I had it out once around 2011 to clean it out and the garage. Since then I've managed to strip everything off & out of the shell except the rear glass and paint. I have the full AMD floor pan and need to go that. It ain't going anywhere soon.
Enjoying the heck out of dusterbnb's build. BTW: Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

-
Back