5.2 magnum A833 2.93 Highway MPG

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
What highway mileage are you guys getting with a stock 5.2 magnum with 4speed (64 B&T)?
Planing on swapping out the slant six for a Stock magnum 5.2 RV Camshaft Rpm air gap 500cfm edelbrock, and magnum exhaust manifolds With a solid distributor curve and a good V-Can, and a msd box with 2.93 gears. Hoping to get 20 Mpg on the highway and at least 15 on the street lol.

car is a 64 Dart No power anything with a 245 60 15 tire in the rear.

Why I’m thinking this is possibly is because the magnum has true 9:1 CR lighter rotating assembly roller camshaft better heads and the stock camshaft is a low torque monster lol

A SP2P intake would probably be a good choice but would need to drill in to the mag bolt pattern

What highway mileage are you guys getting with a stock 5.2 magnum with 4speed (64 B&T)?
Planing on swapping out the slant six for a Stock magnum 5.2 RV Camshaft Rpm air gap 500cfm edelbrock, and magnum exhaust manifolds With a solid distributor curve and a good V-Can, and a msd box with 2.93 gears. Hoping to get 20 Mpg on the highway and at least 15 on the street lol.

car is a 64 Dart No power anything with a 245 60 15 tire in the rear.

Why I’m thinking this is possibly is because the magnum has true 9:1 CR lighter rotating assembly roller camshaft better heads and the stock camshaft is a low torque monster lol
Mid 20's I would say if you drive it easy. RPM @ 60? You can have some fun here calculating rpm at speed and such. You need to keep the cruise rom at or below 2000 to be efficient. Calculate GEAR, RPM, MPH, TIRE DIAMETER

I think the 15 inch rim, with 245 60 series and a 2.93 gear actually puts me at 2.70s due to the taller diameter 26.6 I think factory tire height for 64 abody was 13x4.5 185 80 r13 closer to 24.4, BUT not sure on the Factory 1963-66 A body stock tire size but ya.

I think the 15 inch rim, with 245 60 series and a 2.93 gear actually puts me at 2.70s due to the taller diameter 26.6 I think factory tire height for 64 abody was 13x4.5 185 80 r13 closer to 24.4, BUT not sure on the Factory 1963-66 A body stock tire size but ya.
Stock tire size? Short little 13's and 14's.

If you already own the 5.2M, then fine, but if not, then your cam choice will, for the most part, dictate your Scr and 9:1 is not gonna fill the bill for city-cruizing.
Thus, pistons may be in your future, and after that, the only advantage to the Magnum is the roller lifters, and the closed chamber heads which I HEAR, are most often cracked.
So then, all-in-all; since, IMHO, you're gonna want to run closed chamber alloy heads, with a tight Q; the LA is once again, on the table.

Furthermore;
245/60-15s come in at about 26.6, and therefore, with 2.93s and .73 od, 65=1760 rpm. Good luck meeting the engines cruize-timing requirements, at that rpm, even with an "RV cam". Thus, IMO;
You could do better, than an RV-cammed Magnum.
But, if you already have it, well possession is 9/10ths.

In either case, with a tight-Q, you will not be needing a Multi-Strike ignition. But could do better with a Single-fire, and a High-amperage coil. I've gone 40 mpgs on an Accel SuperCoil with a factory-type ECU.

The problem in either engine-scenario is, the later that the intake closes, the lower will be the cylinder pressure; which is all the engine cares about....... as to making power. BUT
When it comes to fuel economy, cylinder pressure is automatically adjusted to whatever the load requires by the throttle opening. If the load only requires an effective compression ratio of 5/1, then, you are gonna adjust the gas pedal to get it. Then you are gonna physically build a timing curve, to satisfy the very early timing requirement of that theoretical 5/1 effective compression ratio. and
Then you are gonna physically adjust the fueling to deliver as lean an AFR as the engine will reliably run on.
So, to recap; When it comes to steady state fuel-economy, the engine hardly cares about the Scr.
This is NOT true for stop-and-start city fuel-economy. Here, for accelerating up to speed, you need the Maximum amount of cylinder pressure that your custom built engine can generate, and again, 9/1 is not likely gonna cut it. True, it's better than 8/1. But in either case the tune is gonna make huge difference, especially with a Second-gear Roadgear of just 2.93 x 1.67= 4.89...which is like third gear in a regular trans with 3.55s (1.39 x 3.55=4.93)
There is only one good way to run that trans, and I have run them all.
1) The lowest rpm that you want to run, on the hiway, is about 2000 rpm. Even at 2000, you will not be able to satisfy her cruize-timing requirement.
Honestly, 2200 would be better.
But, for 65=2000 with the previous tires and .73OD, you need 3.34s, rounds down to 3.23, and so, 65=1937.
Guess how much timing your stock style distributor can generate at 1937rpm.
My guess is 38*. and my guess is that the engine, for max economy at 65mph, will want 50* or more. In other words, lacking timing, it often happens that the very same combo will get better fuel economy cruizing steady state, at a higher rpm, in the which the cruize timing requirement has truly been met.

>OK so what about around town?
The starter gear with 2.93s is 9.08, which will get you to 3000rpm=26mph. Then when you shift, the rpm will drop to 1620, and now, your engine has to claw it's way up to say 30/35/40 mph, which, in traffic, is gonna take a fair amount of throttle...... for four reasons;
1) the effective cylinder pressure is very low
2) the mechanical-timing plus Idle-timing is low, and
3) there may be NO HELP from the Vcan, cuz the manifold vacuum is already pretty low.
4) all of these combine to produce a lack of bottom end torque.

As to numbers 2 and 3, there is not much you can do with iron heads, cuz the engine will get into detonation real quick.
As to #1, even 9:1 is not gonna make much pressure.
As to #4, the Second-gear in that trans really sucks with 2.93s. Like I said, I've tried all the combinations of gears that Mopar ever made, back in the Day.
>For Second gear, with a manual trans, What I have found makes good city-fuel economy, is to cruize 35mph at ~ 2800. This will take a roadgear of 6.33. At this rpm you can give the engine the timing it wants, which maybe you can get 50/52*, which will be close. So then, your job is to set the AFR as lean as you can get away with, at 2800 cruize. AND, to also reduce the accelerator pump action, to as small as you can get away with.
Now; with the od trans; 6.33/1.67= ~3.73 rear gears. and
3.73s will get you 65=2175 in overdrive, which is perhaps perfect.(I run 65=2240) But,
the starter gear is 3.09 x 3.73= 11.53 which is pretty deep. Which means that your engine, in first gear, will be up at 3000 real early. (I actually like 3.55s better for in town.
>Now, having dialed the trans in, you gotta build the engine to best take advantage of it.
If your goal is maximize your economy around town, then you gotta go for max cylinder pressure. But, you're not gonna get there with iron heads, which top out at perhaps 165psi with best gas.
Switching to alloy heads will allow perhaps, 200psi. Now you got some torque!.
But, with a stock LA cam, yur gonna need the Scr to be up around 10.6. And the later the ICA is, the higher the Scr will need to go.
>Just to be fair;
Lets say you set the Scr to 9.0, and run the 5.2M cam @Ica of 55*, the pressure will be ~155, which is pretty good for Power, but won't win any awards for fuel economy around town.
But with an Scr of 10.6, that same 55* will get you a pressure of ~ 190psi, which is really good.
The point is that, for city mpgs you need plenty of pressure, so you can run a minimum throttle opening during acceleration.
>Part of Max fuel-economy is which gas yur gonna tune for. IF, you want to run 87 gas, with closed chamber iron heads, you limit yourself to about 155psi, which is about what the factory 5.2M cam will generate.
Switching to alloy heads, I have run them at a tic under 200psi, with a 850TQ/750DP, still on 87E10 gas, at WOT with full-timing (34*). At Part Throttle or with a smaller carb, I bet I could have run even more pressure.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I can see mid 20 easily, like @toolmanmike said. I'll tell you though, I'd run a 800 Thermoquad. It'll knock that Edelbrock's head off for mileage and power if it's tuned right.

a small carb doesn't always equate to MPG, although it can help, especially in city driving.

by the maths your 26.5" tire with 2.94 gears should have you turning 2500 at 67mph which would be fine if you're soft pedaling it and in the #2 lane.

the trick here is going to be dialing in your timing so that you have enough at your projected cruise speed/rpm to make it efficient and work well, but not suck everywhere else.

if your cam specs don't favor your projected cruise speed & rpm then even an SP2 and 390cfm carb won't pull the mpgs you're looking for-- even if you drive like a grandma.

but set up right? i could see 20's on the highway if you keep it to a dull roar, but the street is gonna eat you up and keep it low teens.

If you don't want to spend a fortune on an intake, or fool with redrilling the heads, you can get a Chinkanese Airgap on Amazon for about $150. They are a good intake for the money, especially for a ride around motor.

To maximize with a carb, there are drop-in, standalone electronic ignition conversions (optical versus magnetic) that provide the mechanical advance curve and add a MAP sensor to provide a reliable advance control based on vacuum, all adjusted with an ap on your phone. I don't know if they make one for this.

When selecting overall gearing including tire od, I shoot for 10-11mph in first at 2000 rpm and under 3000 at 70 mph for a low bsfc near the torque peak. It's interesting how many overlooked truck trannys will do that with the right tire and diff.

Factory 4200 pound Dakota ext cabs with a 5.2 and 3.55 gears with OD making it about 2.45 final get about 16 MPG average. Not sure exact highway vs city.

My 5.9 Dakota R/T 5.9 ext cab with 3.92 OD to about 2.74 gets about 18 highway and about 13 average.

The OP's estimate sounds about right in the ballpark to me.

-
Back