5.2 Magnum Build

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I have a Dart Sport with a 6 and want to swap in a small block. I have a 2001 Ram van with a 5.2 "Magnum" in it that still runs pretty strong with 195 k on it. The rest of the van is nickel and diming me to death though. I read an article about a motor like this making 400 hp on a "budget"...any thoughts? Thanks

You may not like the way it is at 400 hp which requires more camshaft than a larger engine. This can lead to an issue of having a little more obnoxious engine than you intended. Also more gear and converter than you may like.

The key here is cylinder head flow. More the merry. It allows a small camshaft to perform at a higher rpm and make more power overall.

Besides the “400hp” goal level, what’s the goal of the car? What are your limitations besides your wallet. Like, gear ratio, stall converter, etc….

If you have a /6 now you’d probably be very surprised by how well a stock 5.2 with an overdrive trans runs in an A body. Stick it in stock, drive it a while and decide to modify it or not. They are pretty peppy in a light car.

You may not like the way it is at 400 hp which requires more camshaft than a larger engine. This can lead to an issue of having a little more obnoxious engine than you intended. Also more gear and converter than you may like.

The key here is cylinder head flow. More the merry. It allows a small camshaft to perform at a higher rpm and make more power overall.

Besides the “400hp” goal level, what’s the goal of the car? What are your limitations besides your wallet. Like, gear ratio, stall converter, etc….

Im not even sure if I need 400 up, that was just what the article was claiming. I could probably be do with less. The car is a 72 Dart Sport that I'd like a little sportier.
I've been thinking about 340/360 combos where I would have to source a bunch of parts including the the short block. I have a 383 4 speed in a 69 Satellite that is pretty stout. After being into that for years. I thought I would explore the A body world. I'm really just looking for a peppy small block with a 904 or 727 behind it. No drag or street racing just enough to have a little fun and annoy the neighbors.

Is the 383 stock & what does that B body weigh in at?
I’d like to do some math on power to weight so the A body shines.

You would want the 904. Less power to turn and lighter in weight. I do know the SB 727 is easier to get in a more beefed up state from the rebuilders and speed houses. The draw back is cutting the driveshaft or getting a new one to fit since the two transmissions are different lengths. So very annoying!

IF IF IF! You have the OD trans that’s is a Hyd shifter and in no need of a computer, that’s a smokin homerun. They have there caveat as well.

If you don’t mind a 3K stall converter and that magazine articles cam of, what was it? 230@050?

Change the heads, for 2 reasons...195k so the guides n exhaust are toast and 2 they don't flow all that well on today's terms.

Carb and headers. Done. The cams are decent in the 318 ,like .432 or so on the intake and .441 exhaust, the rt cam is a .436/.444 lobe. I have one and measured it to know the diff. A lot of the power is in being able to tune it ,cut out the computer in other words... bit if you really want 4oo hp then something in the .490-.513 lift and [email protected] and pick your lsa & cl for the range and idle quality

Well, he just took the words right outta my mouth!
:rofl:

But yea! That’s it right there.

One thing that stood out in the article was the mention of of different heads, especially ones that would accept an aftermarket intake, which wouldn't work with the stock heads which were also prone to cracking. I also recalled reading about the 904 and driveshaft scenario. I'm not hooked on big horsepower numbers rather amp it up a little. I also had hoped to get well over 200k on the motor so this sounds like an easy way to do it.

One thing that stood out in the article was the mention of of different heads, especially ones that would accept an aftermarket intake, which wouldn't work with the stock heads which were also prone to cracking. I also recalled reading about the 904 and driveshaft scenario. I'm not hooked on big horsepower numbers rather amp it up a little. I also had hoped to get well over 200k on the motor so this sounds like an easy way to do it.

I did heads at 299k and it had no rifmdge stand showed cross hatch. Are the rings worn? Probably.. that is where the half a qt oil goes every 4 months..but theres hope..and itll make a lot of power eating a lil oil still.
Budget or or fudge it is the question...

I wouldn't worry hp amount, airgap and headers, a cam in the 210 to 225 range .500" ish lift depending how much gear and stall your willing to go and it makes what it makes.

360 magnum does 360 hp with a 212 cam a 5.2l can't be to far off.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of going with a 904 with a "shift kit" and am thinking a 3.23 suregrip for the gearing in a 8.25 rear. I've always been big on 4 speeds so I'm not sure about picking a converter for an automatic, so any help in that department is appreciated.

Find a used intake, small block 904, manifold/headers, an electric fuel pump, and swap the 5.2 without any other mods and see how you like it. As said above, you might be surprised.

Then if you want more power, you go from there. Although...a 7.25" rear won't hold up long to thrashing with a 5.2!

Converter stall dependent on vehicle weight gearing tire size and camshaft for starters.

For a cam up to 218@050, a stock converter will do just fine. Going up to 230@050 & 3.23’s on the stock tire will require at least a 2500. Your professional advice from a reputable converter place is best sought. Pay the piper for a quality part, buy once, cry once, forever be happy down there road.

Ultimate, Dynamic, ProTorque, etc….

-
Back