5.2 Magnum times ??

-
A friend of mine had a 5.2 Magnum motor in a Duster 904/2800stall/3.21 gears. He now has a 5.9.... However, the 318 was stock bottom end with pistons down in the hole something like .120 (stock) heads had fresh new valve job and minor sanding role clean up. The cam was a Hyd. Roller don't remember the specs exactly but with the 1.6 rockers i know it had a lift of around .530. It used a 650 Holley, China air-gap intake and headers This is a daily driver that averaged 15-16mpg but was able to pull of consistent 8.40s at like 83mph. It ran strong and I hate that it never got some good pistons. Alittle more stall, pistons, and some 3.55s likely would have brought it down in the low 8s if not in the 7s. I'll likely try to pick up where he left off one of these days, but I'm glad i got to see what a true junkyard 318 is capable of which in this case equates to around a 13.20s 1/4 mile.

ok, time to update the 5.2 i´m preparing for my Buddy as previously described….on a Mission to get a 12 sec timeslip...

Installed the new Oregon Cam, Grind #1341 (218/224° on 110 LSA / .482" Lift). 4° Advance Ground in, so installed at 106° ICL. Was dead on with the stock cam key, precisely ground.

20191227_140648.jpg

Next step: head porting. i put some real effort into improving the pushrod pinch....and found the weak point of the casting...sad. Good that i started with the intake ports at this head, not the bowls like the other head i did.....at least nobody can say i did not try it real hard ;-)

20200114_173337.jpg

My 12mm wrench served me well as a "checking device" for the first port i did…..but obviously not for the second one. Note to myself: use a 11mm wrench for the next head ;-)

20200114_173726.jpg

here´s another shot of the bowls (from the still intact head). I opened them up and removed all disturbing edges…..unfortunately no budget for a better Valve Job. I´ll do a back cut to the intake valves later. For working the intake guide i do not have the proper Carbide bits...but i think there´s not much to gain here if the pinch is the weakest point of the head. Maybe i give it a try while waiting for a spare head.

20200110_175220.jpg

more to come….first date at the track is middle of may. Think i have it done until then ;-)

Michael

btw, this is the car the engine is for. I always tell him to adjust the front higher for better weight transfer....he likes the lower stance better. I keep trying ;-)

IMG-20180620-WA0000.jpg

Does the above head go to the scrap pile? Since you found water it probably can't be fixed?

Hi Stixx,

yes, this one is going to the scrap pile. the hole is in the runner, goes to the pushrod area (no water). You need it for further examination (aka door stop)? ;-)

Michael

there is no real hole in the stock Magnums, it´s an open area where you can´t locate / secure a sleeve. i thought about this but no Chance. the good Thing: my Buddy already has got another set that he got Pretty cheap….so no big loss. I´ll be more careful next time ;-)

Michael

Hi Guys, just a little update here…..engine done and in the car….due to the fact that the spare heads were junk (massively sunk valves) i closed the hole in the port with epoxy, we´ll see if it lasts. Here´s a Video from first start with new cam / ported heads, sounds good. New cam is 218/224, 110 LSA around .480" Valve lift. I was concerned regarding Piston to Valve contact with the stock flat tops, that´s whyi kept the cam Pretty conservative.

Now i still have to do his rear axle, cone type sure grip not working.....first race middle of may. Will update this thread here!

Michael

Hi Guys, just a little update here…..engine done and in the car….due to the fact that the spare heads were junk (massively sunk valves) i closed the hole in the port with epoxy, we´ll see if it lasts. Here´s a Video from first start with new cam / ported heads, sounds good. New cam is 218/224, 110 LSA around .480" Valve lift. I was concerned regarding Piston to Valve contact with the stock flat tops, that´s whyi kept the cam Pretty conservative.

Now i still have to do his rear axle, cone type sure grip not working.....first race middle of may. Will update this thread here!

Michael

Have you had a chance to put a pass on that thing yet? I am very interested in the results as I am about to put a stocker on the track and am looking at the same cam from OCG.

Hi! unfortunately no racing up til now over here this year. Some local test and tunes....but too far away for me for just testing. Did his rear axle meantime, waiting for installation.....no hurry due to this damn covid situation. We´ll see if the situation will improve in september / october. Thanks for remembering!

Michael

Hi! unfortunately no racing up til now over here this year. Some local test and tunes....but too far away for me for just testing. Did his rear axle meantime, waiting for installation.....no hurry due to this damn covid situation. We´ll see if the situation will improve in september / october. Thanks for remembering!

Michael
Thanks for the response, what rear end did he put in it? Look forward to seeing the results.

stock a body 8.75 in it.....cone type sure grip did not work anymore. I shortened the cones on a lathe and put it together with some shims.....it´s working again.

I was able to finally get the Valiant to the track for a base line with the 5.2 magnum.

Stock 5.2 out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the stock cam.
Chinese Air Gap intake
Summit 600 VS carb
904 with a stock converter out of a 77 Cordoba
Super Stock Springs, narrowed 8.8 limited slip Ford from an Explorer with 3.73 gears and street tires. Traction was not an issue which is part of why I believe there room for improvement in this set up.

The car ran 14.13 @ 97.5mph in quarter.

I believe we could get the car in the 13's with some tweaking. Probably just a 150lb driver vs 300lb me would do it. LOL

Will Probably put together a 5.9 magnum I have or LA 360 to put in over the winter with a stall and some slicks. Part of me wants to put a cam and valve springs in 5.2 and put a stall behind it, but that money could go a significant way with the 5.9. Besides this motor makes for a great cruiser with the stock cam to put in a different car.

I was able to finally get the Valiant to the track for a base line with the 5.2 magnum.

Stock 5.2 out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the stock cam.
Chinese Air Gap intake
Summit 600 VS carb
904 with a stock converter out of a 77 Cordoba
Super Stock Springs, narrowed 8.8 limited slip Ford from an Explorer with 3.73 gears and street tires. Traction was not an issue which is part of why I believe there room for improvement in this set up.

The car ran 14.13 @ 97.5mph in quarter.

I believe we could get the car in the 13's with some tweaking. Probably just a 150lb driver vs 300lb me would do it. LOL

Will Probably put together a 5.9 magnum I have or LA 360 to put in over the winter with a stall and some slicks. Part of me wants to put a cam and valve springs in 5.2 and put a stall behind it, but that money could go a significant way with the 5.9. Besides this motor makes for a great cruiser with the stock cam to put in a different car.
That's good with the stock cam. I'd like to see it with an upgraded cam.....

That's good with the stock cam. I'd like to see it with an upgraded cam.....
I think a stall converter may yield the biggest net gain, this motor gets real happy around 3000rpm. Although a new cam and valve springs would allow me to rev a bit higher without floating plus more power.

Just got back from the one and only Track event for us this year.....and we finally got a 12 sec. Timeslip for the green Valiant with the 5.2 Magnum!!!

Was a 400 Km ride one way.....but well worth it. Track was great (old airfield), good traction. I was disappointed yesterday about the performance of the car, ran slower than before with all my modifications....honestly i did not sleep well in the night because i thought about what went wrong. today morning i found out: since i initially did not plan to attend the installation of the motor, i marked the distributor and the block to set the timing where it was before disassembly.....but i did not think about the new cam....gear on the new cam is not exactly placed as the old cam was....my fault. So i checked timing, was 8° Initial and 19° total.....reset to 24/35 and bingo....12.94 @ 107 mph, 1.861 60ft. Later he could improve to a 12.88 @ 106.5 mph, 1.83 60ft.

Aditionally he managed to win the sportsman ET class there, got a 150 Euro gift coupon for some new hoosier racing tires. We are happy so far ;-)

12sec1 (2).jpg
12sec1 (3).jpg
Valiant.jpg

We´ll upload some videos on our FB Page "the A-Team dragrace" soon , if you like it leave a like.....Thanks!

Michael

-
Back