5 friction/clutch clearance issue in a 904

-
67, we run the 904 with wide ratio gear set, 4.2 lever, five clutch wide drum, wide band and .020" per friction. Works great and has for 15 years. Runs in a 68 Cuda with 408 and 3.91 gear.
Be sure to get at least .015" to .022" per friction.
Tom hand

Also when mixing 904/999 parts, remember that the output-shafts are matched to the planetaries.I mixed them up twice before I got it right.It stripped the splines right out of the planetaries 1st time I got on it....zing.

I installed 5 discs in a 4 clutch drum in my 904. I had the pressure plate machined with a narrow groove so the snap ring could be installed with the proper clearance.
is this the mod that you did?

7714919-6211068-Thinplate.jpg

Yes that is it. He used a magnetic base to hold it while turning it.

My mind is fuzzy, and this applies to an A518/ 727.......I read (and I did) I think you can use a second rear pressure plate upside down for the top one, you don't have to machine it?

Might have been in Munro's book

.010-.012 per disc.... I like.060:as minimum.. that is with .061 disc and .068 steels... For a 904...

Also when mixing 904/999 parts, remember that the output-shafts are matched to the planetaries.I mixed them up twice before I got it right.It stripped the splines right out of the planetaries 1st time I got on it....zing.
I know it's a really old thread, but i'm looking for more specifics on this info if any one can provide it as to the differences.

I set mine up dry....with 5 disc and steels...put the pressure plate on it and flat snap ring..and...measure the clearance...I had to take the pressure plate to match shop and had .020 ground off it as it is case hardened steel as i wanted .070 clearance....done 4 904 like that ..guy charged 25 bucks to machine...as he grinds both sides...give nice clean flat surfaces...

-
Back