/6 differences

-

ElephantKiller

Reaction score
This question may really test your knowledge of Ma Mopar. What are the differences between the 225 slant six in cars and the industrial HB225 slant six?

Most industrial engines have lower compression that an automobile engine. They usually have a different camshaft also being these engines run at a constant speed. Other than that they are about the same. I have worked on Broderson drop hammers that had the HB225 in them and the blocks were the same. I almost bought a John Deere swather that had a HB225 in it and it looked like a normal block also. It did not have a SAE style block like alot of other model industrial engines

Chuck

Actually, that is the reason I ask. We own a Hesston Swather that has an HB225 six in it and I am thinking about finding a slant out of a car or truck and swapping them. The exhaust manifold is cracked on the HB225 and it has a variety of other problems so I was just going to replace the whole thing.

Do you think a different camshaft would be in order, or do you think the automotive grind would suffice?

Go ahead and put an automobile engine in it as is. I had to change out a HB225 in one of those drop hammers because of it threw a rod and I put in a complete automobile engine and it worked fine. I would stick with a '75 and down motor because they are forged crank motors. But being it won't see much abuse in a swather a cast crank motor would probably be fine also.

Chuck

-
Back