/6 for autocross

-

prrc

Reaction score
OK heres a question I have been tossing around in my head for a while. I'm building a 64 dart pro touring style car that will pull double duty as a autocross car. Here is what the car needs to. Steet/highway driven. pump gas. autocross as double duty. The original plan was to dump the /6 for a high winding small block. So heres my questions.
Can the /6 handle these terms? Don't know much about them.
I have seen a turbo valiant that sounded stock run in the 10's on youtube.
An autocross car needs a good low end power band to get the car out of the turns quick.
I also thought the slant would be lighter on the front end. more nimble on the track.
not crazy about the exhaust note a /6 puts out but if it preforms. I guess I can deal with it.
give me your thoughts

If you count Auto Cross Getting there and back quick and nimble I would vote yes :glasses7:
+ handling with a slant being lower in height of an engine it would be lower center gravity :icon_smi:
I am prescribed to this thread, there are some auto cross builders and daily drivers here :glasses7::glasses7::glasses7::glasses7:

go to slantsix.org--- Lou M has a 64? dart that he races-- do some searching he might have answered alot of your questions already .Lawrence

I concur about Lou. Look for posts by Dart270 on SlantSix.org. That's Lou. He's built himself a great little /6 autocross Dart. I'm using a lot of his ideas for building my Valiant to do just what you're planning to do.

I concur about Lou. Look for posts by Dart270 on SlantSix.org. That's Lou. He's built himself a great little /6 autocross Dart. I'm using a lot of his ideas for building my Valiant to do just what you're planning to do.

Lou from Virgina is a awesome guy. He's drove out to Los Angeles and raced out on Willow Springs Raceway.

Josh Skinner built a more competion oriented 66 Dart with a /6 the Dave Mapes in PA now owns.

Josh lost at least one motor due to oil starvation. IIIRC he had stock pan with home built baffles. So it wasn't a 100% stock setup and still problems.

I'd due some homework on the oiling deal.

IMHO, as cool as it sounds it will take a lot of time, money, and effort to get good HP from /6 deal. I agree it would be way cooler than a small block. But it's an uphill battle. Choose you battles wisely. And it's just too easy to build a 408 stroker that will be a lot more fun performance wise for your dollar. Just my opinion.

X2 on Lou being a great guy.Even though I am diehard fan of the slant, You do need to research on just what it will take(time and money) to get a slant to perform like a like let's say a mild 360. I have no actual data on this but have been told that a slant only weighs 50 lbs less that a 440.So it is possible that it and the 360 or any LA small block will be close to the same weight range. As I said before I have "Slant Sickness" and have spent tens of thousands to make them run with V8's but it is what I want to do.
Good luck with you project and keep us posted...

Thanks guys, That has been my struggle. The time and cost of the /6 build. Maybe I sould stick to the original plan using the SB. If you have followed my thread I'm building this car for 10K.

-
Back