/6 Header for Duster?

-

harleys

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm pretty new to mopars, but I just picked up a 72 Gold Duster with the /6 automatic for a really good price. Now, I was considering building a 360 for it, but now I'm exploring my options with the /6. I've found performance cams, intakes, etc. for the car, and have seen where numerous people talk about different headers for it that will fit the duster, but I can't seem to find any links that actually work that sell them. Someone please help me out here and tell me a good manufacturer of them, and please post a working link. Thanks, Harley

So, right now your drive train is build for that slanty, you have a 904 tranny, and a 7 1/4 rear axle. If you do your upgrade, you need a v8 k member, or you need to get special motor mounts for that /6 k member. If you upgrade to the 360, you'll need to replace your 904 and 7 1/4 to a 727 tranny with at least an 8 1/4, more than likely you'll want a 8 3/4 rear.
I've spoke with many guys at spring fling and other car shows that spent some coin at clifford performance and love their /6 mods.
a slant with headers sounds pretty good, and with a good cam upgrade makes some decent power, but not enough to chew up your drive train right away.

Hope that helps.
Stu

If you follow the link in the signature line you can see the transition of my 68 Barracuda from a \6 to 360.

If I do some upgrades to the /6 am I gonna be happy with the performance I get in return? What are some upgrades that you have done, and how much hp/tq have you made? What kind of 1/4 mile times have to ran? Thanks for all of the hlep so far, and the welcoming, Harley

I have nothing against slant 6's, they are great! But if you want power you're probably better off going the V8 route. You don't need to change your rear end if you go with a 273 or 318, maybe even a 340. My Barracuda Formula S has a 7 1/4" and it's doing just fine behind the 273. You can find a 318 with a tranny attached for a lot cheaper than the money you'll put into your /6 trying to make it go fast! Just my opinion......

harleys said:
If I do some upgrades to the /6 am I gonna be happy with the performance I get in return? What are some upgrades that you have done, and how much hp/tq have you made? What kind of 1/4 mile times have to ran? Thanks for all of the hlep so far, and the welcoming, Harley

Even with the cam, compression increase, 4bbl, headers and a change from 3.23 to 3.55 gears my Barracuda with the \6 could not be considered fast. I would estimate (based on a cars I own that are known to be low 15 and high 16 cars) that it was a low mid 16 second car in the qtr. I never had the car on a dyno so I have no idea on power levels but I would guestomate that the mods resulted in a horsepower gain of 50 or so.

With the 360 I am now running I have an issue with the clutch hanging up under hard acceleration and I am finding that now that I am trying to make hard fast shifts the shifter is getting balky (needs to be replaced or rebuilt). Even so I am getting low 14 sec times at over 100mph. I sould be able to get low to mid 13 sec times once I sort out the clutch and shifter issues based on the trap speeds.

-
Back