6 spd swap progress

-

72BBSwinger

Reaction score
Started my 6spd conversion the other day. Pretty much done mocking up clutch master and pedal and have the trans bolted in with the floor started.

Attachments

• master 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,847
  • master 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,818
  • master 3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,814
  • first mock up.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,810
  • tunnel first try.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 2,851
Looking good!
Did you have to move the crossmember?
I'm curious how you knew where to mount the plunger on the pedal to get the correct stroke length. Do you just make sure it depressed the cylinder all the way before running out of pedal movement?

In other words, what bottoms out first? the cylinder or the pedal?
thanks!

Trial and error lol! Really I just used the lower rear most hole out of the 4 that are left when you drill out the spot welds when removing the overcenter spring arm. That position gives me the right ratio master cylinder to pedal wise. I'm gonna weld in adjustable pedal stops to the pedal box to dial it in. I'm using a 7/8" bore Wilwood master and only time will tell if its gonna work well with a Viper slave cylinder. I'm not even sure about my clutch setup yet all I have is a slightmy used Zoom Kevlar disc I scored for cheap. The Tbar crossmember is hacked off. I'm in the process of building a new one just been busy with other stuff lately, ill update when I get further.

Got the crossmember fabbed and tacked in. 2x1/2x1/8" C-channel is the least bulky yet most rigid thing I could come up with and it will get some reinforcement when its all said and done. Next is tunnel time!

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2,671
  • 028.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 2,760
  • 027.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 2,727
  • 025.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,755
Got the floor buttoned up today. Bench seat is for sure not gonna happen. Time to pull trans back out after I get mount built and keep moving ahead.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 2,755
  • 006.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 2,655
Heres the best part,so far anyway. My ACC auto carpet fits good. A tad loose in the footwell where the front of the hump and floor meet but definitely gonna roll with it!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 2,702
Keep the updates coming, looks great? Think the tranny (esp at the shifter location) will be removable for service?

Yeah you just pull the shifter out and drop the trans. I will keep them coming, gonna be slow as im gonna be out of town next week.

I found it from a guy in Chicago who had bought it for his LS Camaro and decided it was gonna take to much to make it work. It is a brand new trans out of a Drag Pack Challenger thats never even had oil in it. It was advertised on Moparts, I jumped on it even though I didnt have enough money lol!

Nice score.! I'm sure we all would love to have a 6 speed trans...

They are a big investment in a lot of cases. I think American Powertrain quoted me 5K for a kit, and you are still on your own with the tunnel and a crossmember. Right now I have $1500 for trans,575 bellhousing,70 master cylinder,70 heim/fittings/braided lines/shifter boot,70 billet rear yoke,123 shifter and about 40 for metal. Gonna need flywheel 200,clutch 3-400,slave cylinder 150 and driveshaft 400. So $3600 is about right in my case. I f I would've used a new Magnum t56 id be sitting at around 4700 so AP's price isnt to far off in that respect.

I was curious too as to the stroke of the mc. Usually kits use a 3/4 unit. Let us know if your combo works.

Is the driveline angle set to where is was originally? From the height of the trans it looks like you've paid attention to this.

Be sure to check the Quick Time for runout, as the last 2 I've done needed offset dowels.

I was curious too as to the stroke of the mc. Usually kits use a 3/4 unit. Let us know if your combo works.

Is the driveline angle set to where is was originally? From the height of the trans it looks like you've paid attention to this.

Be sure to check the Quick Time for runout, as the last 2 I've done needed offset dowels.
Really? Nice! I will for sure, I plan to pull the engine and put on a road race pan and will do it then. Yes I did pay attention to driveshaft angle and will be able to raise the trans 1/4" and/or drop the engine 1/4" from stock if needed. I havent checked it yet but should have enough adjustment when the time comes.

They are a big investment in a lot of cases. I think American Powertrain quoted me 5K for a kit, and you are still on your own with the tunnel and a crossmember. Right now I have $1500 for trans,575 bellhousing,70 master cylinder,70 heim/fittings/braided lines/shifter boot,70 billet rear yoke,123 shifter and about 40 for metal. Gonna need flywheel 200,clutch 3-400,slave cylinder 150 and driveshaft 400. So $3600 is about right in my case. I f I would've used a new Magnum t56 id be sitting at around 4700 so AP's price isnt to far off in that respect.

Yup sounds about average price. WAY too rich for me,sadly. But I did look into something like what you have,either buying from Tremec or getting a viper trans etc.There's no cheap way into one of those transmission's unless you get REAL lucky.

Im opting for the poor man's o.d,an 833. Should still be lot's of fun banging gear's! I'm coupling it to a big block so the wide ratio's should'nt hurt as much as a peaky small block would.First gear should be a downright hoot! I think it's a 3.08 ratio,combin that to the torque of a big block and a fibreglass front end! I think I'll be pulling the wheel's up even with an O.D trans!

Nice trans! Enjoy,and be sure to do some gear bangin vid's for us once all is installed!

I did the 5speed from Keisler, it was very important to dial in the bellhousing to the pilot bearing or bushing to .005 or less. just to let you know from my mistakes make sure there is plenty of room in the upper crossmember in case you have to remove the trans. just my 2cents O72D

Thanks! When the trans needs removed it will have plenty of wiggle room. The t56 is fattest right at the tbar crossmember which sucks for the crossmember but not for removal. The 5 speeds have the notch cut into them I believe and I bet could cause a bigger problem in that respect. I'm repainting my pedals right now then I'm gonna build a mount next.

Little update...
Looks similar to what was done to get the 4l80e into my car. Might want to triangulate from just outside the torsion bar sockets back into your subframe connectors to make things a bit more rigid....I have pictures of it somewhere....

Very nice fabrication of a trans crossmember. I've been trying to come up with something similar. No need to do that now; your design looks great. Hope you don't mind if I copy.

Copy away, i'd be flattered lol! Im going to add a piece of plate to the back of the V to eliminate the smidge of spring it has in the middle. After all said and done it weighs about 10.8 lbs.

-
Back