/6 timing chain woes.

-

1963dartgt

Reaction score
Im rebuilding my slant and orderes a cloyes timing chain. Went and picked it up today and it looks completely different than the picture. I know itll work but ive seen the disaster of the spokes breaking first had. So on my quest for a stronger timing chain set ive come across a few problems. The slant cam gear s338 is now N/a from anywhere so im out the double chain route. The JP set and rollermaster sets are out of stock from US distributors and ive ordered the cloyes set three time from three different auto parts store and they all have the same cam gear. Should i put this one in and pray or continue my search. Ive got a couple weeks before ill start assembly. Thanks.

15932951094481201761851049266359.jpg

When i had gotten the car the first thing i replaced was the carb and timing chain. The chain had two cracked spokes and was ready to give. The other one my uncle had hanging in the garage on his wall as a reminder to never buy one again. It had broken completely which he said happened after the engine 'kicked back" after shutting it off after a race. I know only two occurances but enough for me to shy away from them.

Rollmaster makes a very high quality chain set for the slant, OR you can modify the front of the slant block to accept a dual idler gear drive for a big block Chrysler. I've done it.

gear drive it! That would be a nice woodwind section over the percussion of the valvetrain. Sweet music!

Id run it.

cheap ones $16.61 @ Rockauto

plenty of options.....didnt check for backorder but the 3rd one is a double roller
upload_2020-6-27_21-49-35.png

View attachment 1715552387

The ts160 from rock auto is for a v8,already looked into it. Wish i could find a rollermaster but its out of stock and the others are out of stock from us distribution centers. And shipping from OZ is the killer. Maybe im overthinking everything. My uncles used to drag race these things in the 80s-90s,im not so maybe itll fair better. Thanks everyone i might just put it on and keep an eye out for a rollermaster or JP.

Do they make double rollers for a /6 anymore? I still have an NOS cam gear. The chain and crank gear are the same as a big block?

If that is the case then you can get the /6 cam gear alone if that is an option for you. We can turn the whole motor with the belts, I would not worry about a cast iron cog with that design.

My 1980 Volare has a 3-spoke in it, and it has turned the metric clock over, more than 4 times, so Ima thinking likely over a quarter million miles. Hyup, I turned almost every one of those on myself......... except the few that my kids cranked on while learning to drive,lol.

One of my suppliers, says their warehouse has one Cloyes S-338 on hand. They can't confirm until tomorrow (monday). I did order it, and will know Monday, if I will be getting it.

@Charrlie_S
66 Valiant 225 nitrous 7.840 at 85.18 mph (1/8),
Your 225 is a hair quicker than my 367 FormulaS clone ..... But Ima lil faster; 93@7.92 (1/8). I thought that was pretty interesting.
Not to hijack this thread, but I have gone 12.4x in the 1/4 with the 225 motor, and 12.8X with the 170 engine, but my car should be a lot lighter then yours.

I wish i could run a 12.8 to the end of my drive way.:lol:This virus is killing my machine shop times. He told me 8-12 weeks were going on 13 now. With all the tracks closed everone pulled their dirt track motors to get done before they reopened them.He called me yesterday and said he just has to mount pistons and get a final hone and i could pick it up

My 1980 Volare has a 3-spoke in it, and it has turned the metric clock over, more than 4 times, so Ima thinking likely over a quarter million miles. Hyup, I turned almost every one of those on myself......... except the few that my kids cranked on while learning to drive,lol.

Of course.

Well i found a rollermaster from a local speedshop(250miles one way).$109 and he'll ship it to me for free.

-
Back