\6 update question

-

TinyValiant74

Reaction score
I was standing in my car port yesterday and staring into my 74 Valiant's engine bay when it dawned on my that, 'there's alot of space in there!' which leads me to the question...

I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard of a super or turbo charged \6 or if it's even possible. 'cause i've been thinking about rebuilding my \6 and if I do then I know that i want to try and sqeeze out every little horsey it can possbly have, and that means possible putting in a supercharger or a turbo.

fast, sure
Stupid, probably
unique, absoloutly

thanks in advance

Turbocharging is the best bet. It is a good balance of being able to drive a car normally and still have the punch of a bigger motor because of the boost. A supercharger is being spun all the time so there is the power loss from that when not in a boost situation during normal cruising. The easiest turbo setup would be a turbo off of a Buick V6 because it has the built in boost control. A blow thru is the most efficient because the carb is still in the same location and you can also run the turbo thru an intercooler before it hits the carb. If you make a draw thru you can't intercool because the air/fuel mixture has to far to go. Before I was into Mopars I was into Buick's and horsed around with the turbo stuff for awhile and when I get the mood to change to something different again I think I might do the turbo /6 thing.

Chuck

I was thinking that too. A turbo would be the best bet, and I would totally use an intercooler but I would stick with my \6 It'll be a whole lot of fun fab. but maybe I can do it.

check out slantsix.org, alot of guys are doing the same thing over there. i believe they have a whole tech section on turbo charging the slant. good luck...

Lots of folks have done each. Here's one of my favorites:

http://www.projectplato.com/cars/bigredhome.html

xwaynestaticx03 is right, check out slantsix.org. Several members have done turbos. There's also a guy with a centrifugal supercharger set-up from the Supercharger Store there as well, just do a search.

There are no references to the slant set-up on the site, but the owner posted stuff about this supercharger on .org:

http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/

I know a guy with a fuel injected turbo \6 in a 39 Willies pick-up. Home made headers with a 3.8 Buick turbo and a home made log intake with a BMW throttle body. He controls it with a FAST EFI controller.

-
Back