\6 Valve cover?

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Guys, a few of you know (I'm sure) that, I get myself into projects.....well the latest one, has to do with "valve covers" I got a couple, 2 slant 6 valve covers and a set of 318's....

The question is, I want to "restore" these valve covers, to be used as lamp shades "Sconces" that will mount to the wall in the hallway to my "Man Cave" or well, shop....

That being said, what was the color they were painted? I know I seen some Mopar Red, and Black.....What was the painting color of them by year? OR is there a list of such things I ought to know about for such things?

The 318 set I have will be Mopar Engine Blue....Why? Thats whats on them partially, but its very, well.....you can't see it unless you see it where the once "Emission sticker" was....I removed it as the paint was merely gone on them anyway and the sticker was, well, partly torn off too.....Besides I plan to "designate" the valve covers to engine size, anyway!

Anyone have a way or know where I can find info as how Ma Mopar painted her \6 engines?

pretty sure from the begining to 67 was red from there to 87 was blue. truck motors in the later years i believe some were black. could be wrong.

You mean to tell me its "that" simple? I'm not sure I believe it, LOL

They never had "Mopar turquoise" Slant 6's then?

My Grandfathers was Blue.....That I remember from his '77 Valare. So. (I worked on it plenty), oil changes, and plugs and all.....Nothing EVER serious tho. and that car was pushing 400,000 miles the last I knew before I grew up and moved away....I always done Pap's tune-ups on it and brakes.....He had a tire place take care of that (I didn't have any good jacks at the time) But, that motor, I'm pretty sure was blue, it was over 10 years ago that I've seen that car and Pap, passed in '07 so....

Something to dedicate to him......(I wish I were able to save that old car!)

I think all engines were painted black by about 1983, before that they were chysler blue.

If you are using them for interior decorating, then coordinate them with your interior colors. Forget about what color the engines were.

Thanks guys! (I'm not into decor, to match the "interior" colors of my house) I want them to be true to as delivered.....from Ma Mopar!

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure they were naked and paint less in the beginning lol! My buddy Paul 81 d series /6 is blue and my buddy Derrick has an 87 that's black.

MD,
LOL funny! Nahhh....not as delivered from the foundry, but "delivered to the dealership" is more like what I'm looking for!

Sadly, I haven't gotten to the 2nd \6 valve cover, or the set of 318 valve coveres, BUT I will, I got one \6 looking pretty damn good! (I'm going to see about getting this one primer'd first and foremost....The other one, I'm not sure whats going to go on with him.....I will probably paint it Mopar Engine Blue..

THEN, the 318's....I'm not sure what will become of those!

MD, LOL funny! Nahhh....not as delivered from the foundry, but "delivered to the dealership" is more like what I'm looking for! Sadly, I haven't gotten to the 2nd \6 valve cover, or the set of 318 valve coveres, BUT I will, I got one \6 looking pretty damn good! (I'm going to see about getting this one primer'd first and foremost....The other one, I'm not sure whats going to go on with him.....I will probably paint it Mopar Engine Blue.. THEN, the 318's....I'm not sure what will become of those!
lol oh NOW you specify!

I believe 2darts is correct. Trucks/taxi/cop slants were yellow. Marine slants were yellow or marine/machine grey. Stationary slants were grey or any color of the rig they were in. Tom

one of the paint charts I have says (not sure of accuracy, just listing the reference I have):
170ci - 1960 = turquoise (exc valiant)
170ci - 1960-69 = red (valiant)
198ci - 1973 = blue (all)
225ci - 1970-74 = blue (all)

my '70 Barracuda w/original 225 (never rebuilt or modified) is blue (valve cover same color)

the 170 from my 69 valiant was turquoise only had 63000 miles and i cleaned it once with no signs of it being repainted.

-
Back