62 valiant /6 turbo build

-

srixon4406

TURBO TOAD
Reaction score
Here's the beginning of my /6 turbo build. U can see some of my progress on the car in the threads posted below but this thread is only going to be what it takes to build a /6 turbo charged 62 Valiant
First I cut and modified a stock exhaust manifold and had a local guy in Jackson Mich weld a turbo flange to the manifold
Second I port matched and polished the manifold with a Aussie big port gasket I got from a member 66acuda

Attachments

• IMAG0976.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,861
  • IMAG0979.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3,844
  • IMAG1027.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,815
The turbo I choice was a garrett gt3271 its rated at around 400 HP and starts making boost at around 2700 rpm thru 6500 rpm which I feel will make the power in the range a /6 puts out
Here's some pics of my first mock up of 2011!!!

Attachments

• IMAG1040.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,801
  • IMAG1043.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 3,803
  • IMAG1045.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 3,848
Lookin' good—tough to work with that tight 1st-generation engine bay; looks like you've carefully thought out where the turbo sits.

Nice work Ill be following your build closely so when my 360 mag blows I'll be ready.

The turbo I choice was a garrett gt3271 its rated at around 400 HP and starts making boost at around 2700 rpm thru 6500 rpm which I feel will make the power in the range a /6 puts out
Here's some pics of my first mock up of 2011!!!

PLEASE keep us posted with your excellent pictures, This thing is gonna HONK!!!

What kind of intake do you have planned for it?

PS Some of the very fastest /6 turbo cars on here don't go above 5500 rpm. They are all done by low-to-mid 5000s... Go figure...

Bill I have a Clifford 4 barrel intake with a 650 dp carb set up for blow thru system.
Ill keep everybody posted and u are right the other turbo /6 only take them to about 5500 rpm that's kind of why I choice the gt3271
Aaron

This is a pretty cool build! Im in no way slant knowlegable (BB and SB ) but I think I'll subscribe and watch! Have you lightened the car yet?

u are right the other turbo /6 only take them to about 5500 rpm that's kind of why I choice the gt3271
Aaron

How large is the compressor inlet? Mine is a 66, but Ryan's is a 70, and he's the one who asked me why I'm taking mine to 6,000. He shifts as 5,200. Maybe his exhaust turbine is smaller????

I'm going to try a 750 Holley Double Pumper; not sure if that's too big, but Gerry at the G-Pop Shop looked at it and says it's ideal (size-wise,) so I guess we'll see...

Ryan and Tom Wolfe both use 600 cfm carbs and go REAL fast with those.... I may be changing to a smaller carb after I get some runs on this thing.

Ryan without you and shakers and Bills help and insight I may still be trying to shoe horn a V8 in my frog thanks and stay tuned
Aaron

Ryan without you and shakers and Bills help and insight I may still be trying to shoe horn a V8 in my frog thanks and stay tuned
Aaron

The first generation Valiants are the lightest (fastest, with any given engine.)

Mark has his down to about 2300 pounds, I believe. That would be a 9-second car EASILY, with Ryan's or Tom's turbocharged engine...

It's ungodly fast WITHOUT a power adder... partially because it's soooooo light!

You go, guy!!!!:cheers:

Alright this is what I did on the last day of my four day weekend
I took the head apart and gasket matched it with the Aussie big port gasket its the same gasket I used for the turbo manifold oh I had to remove all the manifold/intake studs off the head I bought the head off of eBay with a fresh rebuild but when it was delivered a couple of them were bent and one was broke here's some pics I hope to beable to port and polish it this week ill post some more pics

Aaron

Attachments

• IMAG1057.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3,614
  • IMAG1056.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,623
  • IMAG1055.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3,589
  • IMAG1052.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,591
  • IMAG1046.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 3,602
Man, that's really lookin' good! Thanks a LOT for the great pictures!!!

I was treated, today, to a video of Ryan's car running the eighth mile with a terminal speed of nearly 108 mph! That thing sounds really NASTY for a turbo car!!!

Sure hope our car runs something like that; it's awesome!

Bill, that was a BB Monte Carlo w/ a trans brake beside me. You can only hear the turbo spool a bit on mine. Sounds bone stock with the .465 cam! Thanks for the complement... Aaron, thats alot of porting to do. Don't nick a valve seat now. Goodluck!!

Bill, that was a BB Monte Carlo w/ a trans brake beside me. You can only hear the turbo spool a bit on mine. Sounds bone stock with the .465 cam! Thanks for the complement... Aaron, thats alot of porting to do. Don't nick a valve seat now. Goodluck!!

Oh..... :angry7:

Well, I thought it sounded like a V8..... lol!

Question here:

My cam: 220/220 duration/.484"-lift, 114-degree lobe separation

I keep hearing about how Tom and you don't seem to want to wind up tp 6 grand, instead, shifting at 5,200 rpm-to-5,500.

I just ordered a cam fron Comp Cams with these specs:

224/231 duration @ .050"-lift /484" intake lift / .525" exhaust lift/114-degrees of lobe separation to try to pick this thing up some in the 5-6,000 rpm range.

Will it work, or did I shoot myself in the foot, with this bigger cam, and bigger carb??? I have a 750 double pumper....

Am I building a 12-second car here???? Too much of a good thing???:read2:

Let me know what you think, guys, please. I don't want to kill that strong mid-range torque....

I have no experience, and your cars run SO well....

Thanks for any comments/advice!

That cam will work just fine. If you cannot find the aftermarket rockers you are looking for....it will end up being appx. .442" intake and .480 exhaust with the stockers. The stockers work just fine. I found an NOS set on the ebay for $65. I also bought a new shaft to go along with the arms. The only thing I did was shim the rockers to prevent some of the excessive side to side movement.

That cam will work just fine. If you cannot find the aftermarket rockers you are looking for....it will end up being appx. .442" intake and .480 exhaust with the stockers. The stockers work just fine. I found an NOS set on the ebay for $65. I also bought a new shaft to go along with the arms. The only thing I did was shim the rockers to prevent some of the excessive side to side movement.
Tom,

I still haven't checked this set of rockers, but will do so this week.

I have run up a lot of blind alleys, looking for 1.6 rockers. Now, I only need them on the intakes; I think with the excessive duration I ended up with (231) on the exhaust, the weak-kneed, stock rockers will knock that back to an acceptable level, so the Intakes are still a bit lacking, I think.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find half a set (6) on ebay, or here...

Thanks for the advice!!!8)

Today was a productive day all thou I had to work a 12 hour day:( but the day was a slow one at the mill and I actually had some time to grind on this head and about 7 hours! Yes 7 hours later here's what I got done

I opened the ports up just short of my gasket marks and yes I was very careful about not hitting any vulnerable areas or taking to much off around the water jackets.
Maybe if I'm lucky ill polish them up tomorrow

Attachments

• IMAG1062.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,503
  • IMAG1063.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,503
Today was a productive day all thou I had to work a 12 hour day:( but the day was a slow one at the mill and I actually had some time to grind on this head and about 7 hours! Yes 7 hours later here's what I got done

I opened the ports up just short of my gasket marks and yes I was very careful about not hitting any vulnerable areas or taking to much off around the water jackets.
Maybe if I'm lucky ill polish them up tomorrow

Man, those ports look HUGE! Have you experience in head porting?

That looks fantastic.... Bet it will run a good as it looks!

Thanks for the pictures!!!

Bill

Man, those ports look HUGE! Have you experience in head porting?

That looks fantastic.... Bet it will run a good as it looks!

Thanks for the pictures!!!

Bill

Bill this is my first attempt at porting and polishing a head. These ports I've opened up are no bigger then the openings on a standard header flange ill post some pics of the head with a par of header flanges that I got to upgrade the turbo set up in the future but I hope to get some numbers via a die know test with the stock manifold then possible build a header and and take another trip to the die know.
Keep the insight and questions coming
Aaron

Bill this is my first attempt at porting and polishing a head. These ports I've opened up are no bigger then the openings on a standard header flange ill post some pics of the head with a par of header flanges that I got to upgrade the turbo set up in the future but I hope to get some numbers via a die know test with the stock manifold then possible build a header and and take another trip to the die know.
Keep the insight and questions coming
Aaron

those ports look bigger than mine! what gasket did you use? is that franks?

Yah I got the gasket from Frank I think the Aussie have two different style gasket and I'm assuming I got the big port gasket

holy sh*t!! my head flows over 200cfm on the intake @ .550 and that gasket made my ports look small!

flow that thing on a bench and get back to us!

also i cant believe you didn't break thru on the bottom... i did first time...

what head it that? casting number?

-
Back