62 valiant /6 turbo build

-
Wow just read whole thread!! Learned alot toward my build. Iam building a turbocharged 72 valiant green. I am callin it The Grinch. My girls love it. I like the body style of those early years better. What color you painting it? Just my two cents but i would go with the green frog like your avatar and black marbling. It would be bad *** or rat rod it. Thanks for your help. I hope to glean as much as i can off your efforts.

Not a problem sleeper that's one of the main reason I documented this build so maybe somebody else could learn what to do and what not to do. I've learned a ton of info over the last two years of this build and have enjoyed ever last minute of it

The car is running and I've started the tuning process but there's still some bugs in it that I'm working out but i was able to build some boost the other day 15psi:eek:ops: Alittle bit more then i expected but i got off the throttle
Maybe in the next week or so i'll try to get a in car video but will see
Aaron

Hi Aaron, Looking really good!

I couldn't find it in the post but what size turbo did you end up going with? I'm thinking about flipping that gt32 I bought from you and going bigger myself.

Hi Aaron, Looking really good!

I couldn't find it in the post but what size turbo did you end up going with? I'm thinking about flipping that gt32 I bought from you and going bigger myself.

Anthony how's the build going? You getting close I'd love to see what your working on. As for the turbo im running now it's a pte6262 dual BB T4 housing its the same one Shaker is running. I'm in the tuning process and debugging right now I have some little things im trying to take care of.

It appears barring any set back im going to make clay city next weekend and get a couple passes to get a baseline and some seat time
Aaron

I got the drive shaft loop installed and i believe I final nailed down the transmission linkage but i won't no till I take it back out for a ride.
Also I was having some carb issues that I think I figured out. I haven't had to much spare time the last week I had to swing a deal at work to get next weekend off (clay city slant race) so i gave up this weekend off for next weekend. But it's looking promising I've got my fingers crossed that the TOAD will cooperate
Aaron

Wow glad you didnt harm any thing. Iam going to try and run proffesional products fuel injection instead of carb in my car hopefully she works. Waiting on crank scraper and then ill start tinkering with builing oiling system and a baffle for the pan. Did you make your pan deeper cant remember.

I didn't deepen the pan any I did add some baffles on my long rod motor that I'm putting together I plan on deepen the pan 2 inches and ill add some baffles to that one as well
Aaron

I have been setting back keeping a eye on these builds
and try and stay out of the way.
Wow this build is moving and sounding great and I am keeping notes.
It sure is great to see and hear your /turbo run and move, I will be in my chair drooling at you and Bills builds.
and so proud to have a chance to learn
and watch great thinngs being dun.
I have never used Pentonics ignition :glasses7:
I don't know where I would get one if it fails me with out spending a franklen, so I continue using what I first learned about
and they can be found on junkers around barns if I was broke down :coffee2:
I keep spare parts with me at all times..
Thank you for this great thread and info, I thought I better add a comment even if it was just to let you know.

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 938
It sure is great to see and hear your /turbo run and move, I will be in my chair drooling at you and Bills builds.
and watch great thinngs being dun. :glasses7:

Thanks memike for the kind words its been a long road for me and the valiant and honestly I have a ways to go with the build but the mechanical stuff all appears to be working ill no more in the next day or two im trying to button up some of the small things so I can pass tech at clay city and i have a pretty mild tune on the car now I'm planning on slowly upping the boost after I see just how the car will respond.
It's been a learning process for me as well as its been for the members who have taking a interest in my build witch was the point of this thread and i hope more members will think of going in this direction for there power needs.
But Bill and myself are only following the lead of shaker, turbovaliant66 they are the ones that lite the spark once I seen the kind of numbers they were putting down that's when i decided that was the direction I wanted to go
Thanks again for the interests in the build
I'll definitely keep everyone posted and keep your fingers crossed that i can get this little animal to KY this weekend
Aaron

and watch great things being dun. :glasses7:

Thanks memike for the kind words its been a long road for me and the valiant and honestly I have a ways to go with the build but the mechanical stuff all appears to be working ill no more in the next day or two im trying to button up some of the small things so I can pass tech at clay city and i have a pretty mild tune on the car now I'm planning on slowly upping the boost after I see just how the car will respond.
It's been a learning process for me as well as its been for the members who have taking a interest in my build witch was the point of this thread and i hope more members will think of going in this direction for there power needs.
But Bill and myself are only following the lead of shaker, turbovaliant66 they are the ones that lite the spark once I seen the kind of numbers they were putting down that's when i decided that was the direction I wanted to go
Thanks again for the interests in the build
I'll definitely keep everyone posted and keep your fingers crossed that i can get this little animal to KY this weekend
Aaron
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Wow, Aaron; I am SOOOOO impressed!!!! I was hoping that we might be finishing our bucket of bolts for the Clay City race, so we could help each other on our initial outing, but we fell behind... as usual.

Lots of little thinga need to get taken care of before we can make a full pass down the strip, but every day we get a little bit closer.

Please keep us posted on the TOAD's progress; I am way excited about this!!!!:cheers:

The way I see it, the most important thing to watch out for is making sure the ignition timing doesn't accidentally get moved and you somehow, end up with more than 18 degrees total advance. That can cause it to detonate i a heartbeat... or quicker.

Keeping it rich enough at ALL TIMES and watching the spark advance like a Hawk, would seem to be the way to prevent any expen$ive "accidents."

Good luck!!! Freddie and I are really proud of you for putting this effort together as quickly as you did! I hope you go 10.50 and 130!!! :)

Thanks Bill
I'll no for sure on thrusday if the TOAD is ready to go I've been working alot the last couple weeks and I don't like to fire the car up before 9 am and me being me I no that i won't beable to sleep if i run into some problems so that kind of why I've been trying to take care of the small things im off work after wed night so i'll have all day thrusday to hammer the bugs out
I'll definitely keep everyone posted and my wife is going with me so i'll get some video as well as for going 10.50 honestly ill be happy with a 12 second quarter for the first time out but if my afr numbers look good o plan on slowly turning up the boost and we'll she what the TOAD has:burnout:Aaron

Thanks Bill
I'll no for sure on thrusday if the TOAD is ready to go I've been working alot the last couple weeks and I don't like to fire the car up before 9 am and me being me I no that i won't beable to sleep if i run into some problems so that kind of why I've been trying to take care of the small things im off work after wed night so i'll have all day thrusday to hammer the bugs out
I'll definitely keep everyone posted and my wife is going with me so i'll get some video as well as for going 10.50 honestly ill be happy with a 12 second quarter for the first time out but if my afr numbers look good o plan on slowly turning up the boost and we'll she what the TOAD has:burnout:Aaron
I was kidding about the 10.50, but I KNOW the TOAD has a 10.50 in her...

Good luck!!!!:cheers:

J
I was kidding about the 10.50, but I KNOW the TOAD has a 10.50 in her...

Good luck!!!!:cheers:

I no were just kidding Bill I too beleave this has a 10.50 run in it but that's my goal for next year this year if i can make a couple of clean passes ill be more then happy. I still have a couple of small things to do tomorrow and Friday but tomorrow ill no for sure weather the car is ready to go. Also I got a new boost controller that i cant wait to try out I beleave it will make or break me hitting the. Numbers im after
Bill I'm get excited its almost two years to the day when this little valiant came into my procession and i ve worked my tail off for this moment. Thank you bill for putting up with my lack of knowledge on turbo's, you Tom and Ryan have been a huge part of this and I wouldn't be where I'm at with this site and org
Aaron

J

I no were just kidding Bill I too beleave this has a 10.50 run in it but that's my goal for next year this year if i can make a couple of clean passes ill be more then happy. I still have a couple of small things to do tomorrow and Friday but tomorrow ill no for sure weather the car is ready to go. Also I got a new boost controller that i cant wait to try out I beleave it will make or break me hitting the. Numbers im after
Bill I'm get excited its almost two years to the day when this little valiant came into my procession and i ve worked my tail off for this moment. Thank you bill for putting up with my lack of knowledge on turbo's, you Tom and Ryan have been a huge part of this and I wouldn't be where I'm at with this site and org
Aaron

Aaron,

It's very flattering to be put into the company of the likes of Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson, but you know what I REALLY feel like?

I feel like one of those ventriloquist's dummies that sit of the guy's lap while he opens their mouth while he (the ventriloquist) actually does the talking.

Everything I know came from one or the other other of those two guys, so I really can't take credit for any of it...

After OUR car posts some 125 mph passes, (if it ever does) I might admit to knowing SOMETHING, but the fact is, whetever I learned, came from one of those two.

So thanks for the kind words; they are appreciated, but I'm afraid I don't deserve any of that...

You know what I'm saying is true...:newb:

I'm hoping we won't be far behind you, though; our car has a few details that will have to be addressed (pinion angle, Cal Trac adjustment, and ignition system installation and timing set. but we are making progress.

You just did in 2 years what it took TWO guys, 3 years to accomplish!!!

Maybe when you're 73-74 years old, you'll understand... LOL!

Good luck, and knock 'em dead in Kentucky!!!!:happy1:

I'll bet your car is the quickest one there!!!

Just wanted to chime in and let you know I'm still watching your build and it's looking great!!! Can't wait to see what you will run. I'm thinking of trying my own turbo slant someday. I'll probably be doing efi instead of the carb because I can't even get my holley 1920 tuned right without boost. Keep up the good work!

Havent seen post hope everything went well in Kentucky. Also how long did Ishra Johnson take on getting your crankscraper to you or did you evenorder from them. Its been a good month not that i have had much time but no answer back from them. Hope the guys alright.

:wack:Well it's been a minute and the Toad lies dormant in the garage just waiting on some good weather so I can get some street tuning done.
So I've taking the opportunity to make some upgrades to my fuel system after fighting bad 25 year old fuel for the last year, I did drop the fuel tank and cleaned it out, but I'm still worried about the contaminated particles at high boost levels so I've decided to drop a aluminum 8 gal cell with a new aeromotive A1000 fuel pump

All this is preparation is because the TOAD is going on a corn feed diet.

I'll get some pics up in the next couple days of the fuel cell and it being mounted
Aaron

I've decided to drop a aluminum 8 gal cell with a new aeromotive A1000 fuel pump. /QUOTE]

Wow; 9's here you come!!!:blob:

We won't have a chance...:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

Keep us posted!!! This is exciting!!!

Yah bill I can only hope things work themselves out I had some minor issues when I was installing the fuel cell. I love the look of a bottom sump but I couldn't make it look right so I fabbed up one for the same look ill get a couple pics up on the next couple days but it turned out great im every pleased with the work and look.

Also I should have the carb back early next week. Here's a pic of the main body
IMG-20130105-00051.jpg

My carb guy installed some annular boosters and his custom metering blocks. He was every pleased with the results and told me he couldn't believe how will the carb was pulling from the boosters. He also suggested that because the carb is so responsive that I should probably run dual brpvs. But will just have to see how things go.

Aaron

Yah bill I can only hope things work themselves out I had some minor issues when I was installing the fuel cell. I love the look of a bottom sump but I couldn't make it look right so I fabbed up one for the same look ill get a couple pics up on the next couple days but it turned out great im every pleased with the work and look.

Also I should have the carb back early next week. Here's a pic of the main body
IMG-20130105-00051.jpg

My carb guy installed some annular boosters and his custom metering blocks. He was every pleased with the results and told me he couldn't believe how will the carb was pulling from the boosters. He also suggested that because the carb is so responsive that I should probably run dual brpvs. But will just have to see how things go.

Aaron

Lookin' good, Aaron!! That carb is beautiful!!!

We are in the process of adjusting our wastegate for 15 pounds of boost. I don't understand why Turbonetics didn't make any actuator springs for this Evolution wastegate above 9 psi. We're having to shim this one.:protest:

Here's a couple of pic of the box I made mocked into place before I installed the 12an fuel line fitting, I'll be running a 12an or 3/4 line to a aeromotive 100 micron fuel filter with a 10an line to. The aeromotive A1000 fuel pump then a 30 micron filter with a 10an feed to the regulator this setup should be good for 800hp more then my target of 600rwhp but when it comes to a boosted motor more is. Better for your fuel delivery.
IMG_20130112_161658.jpg

IMG_20130112_161737.jpg

I still haven't decided just how I'm going to mount the aluminum fuel cell but I should have it all figured out this weekend.
Aaron

I just about have the upgrades done with the fuel upgrades I'm just about ready for spring

Attachments

• IMG_20130222_082427-1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_20130222_082441-1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 618
I pulled the old fuel tank out on Monday and mind you I just had it out a couple months ago to clean it out and to my surprise the gas looked terrible again I'm so glad I decided to add the fuel cell and ditch the old fuel system I probably would of fought fuel problems all year.
I have two fuel lines to run and the e85 conversion will be done and the Toad should be just about road ready. Also on a side note I'm working on a megasquirt 2 to handle all my real time datalogging I'm in the process of building it now I'm not sure when I'll install it but I have no plans on letting anything hold me up this spring:happy1:
Stay tuned
Aaron

I pulled the old fuel tank out on Monday and mind you I just had it out a couple months ago to clean it out and to my surprise the gas looked terrible again I'm so glad I decided to add the fuel cell and ditch the old fuel system I probably would of fought fuel problems all year.
I have two fuel lines to run and the e85 conversion will be done and the Toad should be just about road ready. Also on a side note I'm working on a megasquirt 2 to handle all my real time datalogging I'm in the process of building it now I'm not sure when I'll install it but I have no plans on letting anything hold me up this spring:happy1:
Stay tuned
Aaron

Aaron,
You go, guy!!!! Makin' great progress!!!

I bench-tested our boost gauge because the Hobbs switch on the meth spray was set to come on at 10 pounds of boost and it's been coming on at about 3 or 4. I was wondering if the boost gauge was faulty, but it's accurate. So, we cranked some more boost into the Hobbs switch. Haven't had a chance to test it yet... I want it to start spraying at 10 pounds... pure methanol.

The waste gate was suspect because Freddie had added about 3/4" of shims to the spring seat and that made me wonder if it might be coil-binding. It was; it would only open about 1/4-inch. We disassembelled it and took some shims out, and now it opens at 15 pounds and opeens about 5/8-inch. That's plenty.

I don't think our blowoff valve is working, so that's the next thing we're going to have to check, I think the one we have is a piece of junk; I may have to buy a better one. Any suggestions?

Spring is on its way and we too, are going to be ready, for sure, this time!!!:cheers: The slicks are ON THE CAR!!!! :)

-
Back