63-66 A-body header alternatives

-

rushr7

Reaction score
Hey this for all you early A-body guys like me. I don't want to cut my fender wells on my freshly painted 63 Valiant (see the photo garage). I really can't afford anything that is out there. I've got 340 h.p. manifolds on it now, but my 360 Mag needs more flow. The magnum truck manifolds hit steering column. I've been looking at various dakota, ram shorty headers, but I imagine they will hit the column. I thought about using manifolds or headers for a truck and running a passenger side header on the drivers side and run the pipe below or above the centerlink. The passenger side isn't a problem. Or is their any headers I could cut and weld to fit, I can weld anything all day, but no tubing bender. Any fresh ideas or any experiences out there let me know!! Thanks in advanced

Roy

I have the Hooker 5208 Super comps on my 64. As in the previous posts, you do not have to cut the opening as big as they say. I did not cut the upper flat part at all!!!
Spitfire is an alternative, but good luck getting them. Laysons(www.laysons.com) advertises these????? But they are for non power steering cars.

Bob

On my 65 Cuda I have Layson's shorty headers. I have them bolted on the engine and trial fitted them and so far they're ok, the other choice you have is Doug Thorley headers, but I beleive the cost is about $950, the Laysons are $320.

After reading in a previous post about the layson's shortys, I looked them up and they were $475, unless I looked at the wrong ones.

you can buy them directly from the builder , harold, but he has a long wait and pay COD - thats who laysons gets them from . Harold charges 150 for a set...

I tried to buy them direct , but 8 months later no headers, and from Layson's 2 weeks later, had em in my hands. I'll try to find out the exact cost, and post it as well. I'm sure it was about $320.

BobsDart said:
I have the Hooker 5208 Super comps on my 64. As in the previous posts, you do not have to cut the opening as big as they say. I did not cut the upper flat part at all!!!
Spitfire is an alternative, but good luck getting them. Laysons(www.laysons.com) advertises these????? But they are for non power steering cars.

Bob
I got the same on my 64 Valiant,but I cut the hole as they said.Oh well she has got to breath.I`m gonna strip her back down in a couple years,I hope something is made to fit by then.Mopar Collector`s Guide July 2001 Pocket Rocket

This might not help much........
18674803.gif

I made covers for the extra big holes in the inner fenders out of Aluminum and polished it up.

That looks pretty sweet! I have a problem with my manifold boiling the fluid out of my master cylinder. I made a shield which helps, but I'm not satisfied.

I have the Spitfires on my 360 Valiant right now. They're better than cast iron manifolds, but not by too much. I'm running mid-12's thru them, but am ready to step up to the Dougs D-450's as the Spitfires are holding me back. Bigtime!

If you're running a street car, the Spitfires will be fine. If you're looking for high end performance, spend the money on Dougs. I've seen mid-10 second cars running the Dougs headers.

Valiant Dave. how is the ground clearence on the headers, do you have any pics from the side looking under. I have the laysons on my 65 Cuda right now, but my car sits quit low. So ground clearence is a big issue with me.
Thanks

-
Back