63 dart 2 door post weatherstrip/glass run suggestions

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
Hi, I am starting to order the replacement weatherstrip for my 63 dart 2 door post and am wondering who is the best for fit/value for the money? I know steele rubber is the best for windshield and back glass, but I am having trouble locating the weatherstrip that glues along the front edge of the doors. Also wondering if there's a supplier selling replacement glass runs for the 2 door post model.

I saw someone selling glass run by the foot but need to know the dimensions of the original ones to order the correct ones.

Also curious if there's certain brands to steer clear of due to poor fit or materials.

I plan to order door wind lace, glass runs, door front weatherstrip, hood to cowl seal, trunk weatherstrip, glass rubbers and lock strips, cat whiskers, plus the door and under hood bumpers. I know there was one vender that was selling "original reproductions" for the under hood bumpers that were different and didn't fit.

Thanks in advance

DMT will have sone of what you’re looking for- what I used so far fits perfect. I will be looking at Restoration Specialties for glass runs for my 2 door sedan doors, which are not in a 2 door sedan

Thanks. I was actually looking at their site for a lot of stuff. I was also looking at Dante's for the window rubbers. Their part number lines up with the steele part numbers. Had anyone dealt with them? Thoughts? The one part I haven't located yet is the door weatherstrip. Also there is a little triangle piece of rubber or foam at the top corners of the door openings (will post pictures later). These are clearly 2 door post parts (maybe 4 door as well?). Any one know where I can locate these or what they are called?

I bought my door weatherstrip in light blue metallic from Restoration Specialties in Winbar PA. Got my 2 door sedan glass weatherstrip (aka catwhiskers) from DMT. Am reusing my windshield weatherstrip.

I bought my door weatherstrip in light blue metallic from Restoration Specialties in Winbar PA. Got my 2 door sedan glass weatherstrip (aka catwhiskers) from DMT. Am reusing my windshield weatherstrip.
I am going with black interior with gunmetal paint with green outside. I have seen the black windjammer weatherstrip. What I am looking for goes on the leading edge of the door. Also the little triangle from the top corners. My car is original paint and never been apart so these seem to be original.

20210102_161246_HDR.jpg

20210102_161252_HDR.jpg

What I am looking for goes on the leading edge of the door. Also the little triangle from the top corners. My car is original paint and never been apart so these seem to be original.

I have pulled doors and B pillars from a 66 2 door sedan and doors from another 66 2 door sedan and neither had the weatherstrip or triangle-shaped rubber in your pics. The weatherstrip on the front of the door frame resembles the weatherstrip That my former 65 Dart convertible had. Could yours be a 63-only thing?

I got my door seals from Summit. They fit perfect & worked well. Some of the others I looked at didn't have the taper at both ends.
1963 DODGE DART Metro Supersoft ALP27-B Metro Moulded SUPERsoft Individual Weatherstripping Seals | Summit Racing

I have pulled doors and B pillars from a 66 2 door sedan and doors from another 66 2 door sedan and neither had the weatherstrip or triangle-shaped rubber in your pics. The weatherstrip on the front of the door frame resembles the weatherstrip That my former 65 Dart convertible had. Could yours be a 63-only thing?

Thanks for the link for those seals. They are exactly what I'm looking for. As to whether or not this is a 63 only think I can't say for sure. I know mine is original paint and has never been apart. I haven't actually looked at any other 2 door post cars to see if they had them. The 2 door post cars up here are scarce as the Dart wasn't offered in Canada, we got the valiant, which up here is the Dart rear body with the valiant front end, and all I have ever seen is a 2 door coupe.

Thanks for the link for those seals. They are exactly what I'm looking for. As to whether or not this is a 63 only think I can't say for sure. I know mine is original paint and has never been apart. I haven't actually looked at any other 2 door post cars to see if they had them. The 2 door post cars up here are scarce as the Dart wasn't offered in Canada, we got the valiant, which up here is the Dart rear body with the valiant front end, and all I have ever seen is a 2 door coupe.
I know my 63 Dart was an all original 2dr post car as I bought it from the original family. Well, all but knee knocker A/C that was added in 65 & 1000 dings & dents! I removed mine before the car went to my body guy.

I know my 63 Dart was an all original 2dr post car as I bought it from the original family. Well, all but knee knocker A/C that was added in 65 & 1000 dings & dents! I removed mine before the car went to my body guy.
Ordered those seals yesterday. By the part number you linked I was able to get them cheaper through rockauto. I think your original owner and mine must have been related. My previous owner must have driven by braile by the number of small dents on this.

I got my door seals from Summit. They fit perfect & worked well. Some of the others I looked at didn't have the taper at both ends.
1963 DODGE DART Metro Supersoft ALP27-B Metro Moulded SUPERsoft Individual Weatherstripping Seals | Summit Racing
Could you measure your weatherstrip? I ordered the one listed for my car but it is 38" long. Way too long. I measured my old ones and they seem to match the 30.25" ones which are showing for a hardtop, not the sedan.

ALP27-B is 38" long while ALP27 seems to match the length of my originals at 30.25"

Could you measure your weatherstrip? I ordered the one listed for my car but it is 38" long. Way too long. I measured my old ones and they seem to match the 30.25" ones which are showing for a hardtop, not the sedan.

ALP27-B is 38" long while ALP27 seems to match the length of my originals at 30.25"
Mine are 30-1/4" long. Now that you say that, I remember having the same problem. They had to reorder for me. Sorry for the bad info.

Mine are 30-1/4" long. Now that you say that, I remember having the same problem. They had to reorder for me. Sorry for the bad info.
No worries. Just have to order the correct seal now. Just glad to be printed in the right direction to find them

No worries. Just have to order the correct seal now. Just glad to be printed in the right direction to find them
So, On a whim I decided to give Metro Moulded Parts a call to let them know of the issue with the weatherstrip listed for our 2 door sedan Darts. They confirmed their listing as ALP27-B fitting 2 door post Darts...but I also noticed, as I was suspecting, it shows this fitting Polara and other full size mopars. No mention of this fitting the valiant. So it would appear they are thinking the Dart is still a big car. Either way, after speaking with the parts order guy and then the lady in returns (at his suggestion) she told me to send her the part with the request to trade it for the APL27 that I needed. This was unsuspected as I bought this through rockauto, not them directly. Needless to say they have my vote for further business. Both were a pleasure to talk to and a great help. Especially since rockauto wouldn't accept a return as the packaging was opened.

So in summary, if you have a 2 door post Dart, you need vent window auxillary weatherstrip part number APL27 which is 30.25" long, not the ALP27-B that is call for which is 38" long. Hopefully this can help someone else not make the mistake I made down the line somewhere.

-
Back