63 dart 270 convertible taillight

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am looking for a right taillight for my 63 dart 270 convertible. I have found one on ebay that looks just like the one I need but it may not be the correct one as it may be for the station wagon.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere to find out if the wagon and convertible 270 lens are interchangeable and is there some way to find out what parts are interchangeable between same year cars and models or different year models?

I have swapped both the left taillight and housing left and right and both fit so there doesnt appear to be any polarity issues I can see.

Thanks for all the super experience on the site, you guys are awesome with you help and knowledge.

John

I bought a pair of 63 wagon tail lights on chance. They are not interchangeable with those who will sit on my 63 Dart GT.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's a '63 only, car only, taillight. You can get the '64 Dart taillight assy's to work with minor mods but they look a little different so you'd have to change both sides. They're just as hard to find so getting another '63 taillight would probably be your best bet. I think Layson's has some reproduction lenses so you might want to contact Rick@laysons on this site to verify. The factory made two version of the lense. One with a chrome looking plastic trim ring glued to the lense and one without.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's a '63 only, car only, taillight. You can get the '64 Dart taillight assy's to work with minor mods but they look a little different so you'd have to change both sides. They're just as hard to find so getting another '63 taillight would probably be your best bet. I think Layson's has some reproduction lenses so you might want to contact Rick@laysons on this site to verify. The factory made two version of the lense. One with a chrome looking plastic trim ring glued to the lense and one without.

It is not my intent to hijack this thread, but I have a perhaps strange question. Does anyone know if it was built 63 Darts with 64's taillights and trunk lid?
My 63 was built in June 63 and have just that. My first thought was that the trunk lid and the taillights have been replaced. But the original color of the inside of the trunck lid match exact original color of the car.

My plan is to replace the trunk lid and taillights, has my hands on the correct tail lights, but without the chrome trim. What models had chrome trims and what not? Mine is a GT. Does anyone know where I can get just the chrome trim? Has been in contact with Rick @ Layson, but he can’t help me.

:cheers:

It is not my intent to hijack this thread, but I have a perhaps strange question. Does anyone know if it was built 63 Darts with 64's taillights and trunk lid?
My 63 was built in June 63 and have just that. My first thought was that the trunk lid and the taillights have been replaced. But the original color of the inside of the trunck lid match exact original color of the car.

My plan is to replace the trunk lid and taillights, has my hands on the correct tail lights, but without the chrome trim. What models had chrome trims and what not? Mine is a GT. Does anyone know where I can get just the chrome trim? Has been in contact with Rick @ Layson, but he can’t help me.
I guess it's possible, but I've never seen one. The trunk lid and lights will interchange between the '63 and '64 models so it would be pretty easy to change them and have it look stock. You could get them with and without backup lights both years too.

Thanks to all for their input, I was able to find a great looking taillight and housing out of California from Efren so I should be happy!
Oh the burdens we endure looking for this stuff!
Good Luck!

-
Back