63 Dart big problems

-

JimD

Reaction score
I thought it was my ignition was causing a miss, well after chasing it down for a week, my neightbor came over , another slant 6 guy. we pulled the plug wires off 1 at a time, and # 1 didn't change. Put on a new plug wire, still the same. Neightbor says maybe head or piston skirt, Will do a compression test next, any thoughts , the engine has 70K miles on it, thanks Jim.

You can do a poor man's compression test by turning the engine over by tugging on the fan belt. If you feel 3 good resistances per rev, you engine is great. If not, your engine may still be OK and build compression at the faster cranking speed, but you need a gage to measure that.

One of your valves might be too tight also. Valve adjustmentments make a huge difference on these engines.

to do the poor man's test , do you have to have the plugs out, I had the valves adjusted after it started missing, didn't do any good. The car runs good while driving, its just at idle, thanks for all the input, Jim

I did a compression test, all cylinders 115 Lbs, also put a vacuum guage on,steady as a rock. My brother said maybe a bad dist. cap I did get bit by one of the wires I tried to take off while running, so may get new wires, any other suggestions, Jim.

-
Back