64 - 66 Barracuda Spear trim repair

-

Miranthis

Reaction score
I got my '66 Barracuda parts out of storage recently and one of the rear fender spear moldings was folded nearly in half by someone (made it U shaped). Its not 'ripped' at the bend so i suppose i could try to unfold it. Anyone had any luck with such repairs? I also suppose I will need to work it, once unfolded, to have it regain its profile. What say you all? Any hope in this?

Jeff-in-KC

It can't hurt to try, I know if I tried, any flaw I would see every time I looked at it.
You could replace it with a good used one since it's apart, list it in the part wanted section.

64-65 is made of stainless. If you repair the aluminum then it has to be recoated with anodize. I put the stainless on my 66 and they look good. Any hiccup is the tabs on the tail lights need to be ground down 1/8” as the stainless is 1/8” narrower.

66 is a one yr only
It is, and is what I currently have, but with so many more 64 and 65's out there i figured that the chance of a repair experience would be greater looking at the sample of all three years with spear trim. The process of straightening out the bends should not be that different, subject to the comments about stainless vs. aluminum.

The aluminum 66 spears are soft and get bent easily. I'd think not so easy to straighten, though. And really would need to be re-anodized to look worth a crap if straightened.

As Syleng1 noted, the 64-65 spears are stainless steel, much stronger, more durable finish, but also narrower. Not a problem covering the fender seam - after all, they did in 64 and 65 - but you'll have to grind on the taillights a bit for them to fit.

I wouldn't want to try to straighten either version. Unless they've disappeared since I last looked, they are available in good used condition, especially the stainless ones.

Anyone have the Retainer Clips for the Stainless Ones?
I removed mine and broke Most of the little push-in clips.

Anyone have the Retainer Clips for the Stainless Ones?
I removed mine and broke Most of the little push-in clips.

Laysons sells the push in clips for the stainless spears, #GZ-88148.

IMG_20240424_180150.jpg

-
Back