64 valiant carburetor

-

64valianttav

Reaction score
Im having a crazy hard time getting my valiant running again because i cant find a carburetor, i was wondering if anybody could point me towards a single barrel for the 2.8l with the twisting rod linkage

Lemmie look. I have one that's the original that came off Vixen, my 64 Valiant, but I ain't gettin rid of that one. It seems like I might have another one somewhere.

Im having a crazy hard time getting my valiant running again because i cant find a carburetor, i was wondering if anybody could point me towards a single barrel for the 2.8l with the twisting rod linkage
Start a Parts Wanted thread here. Someone may have one for you.

float sinks and its pretty roughed up in general, but i cant find a foat anywhere for the carter
Brass floats can be repaired. You solder up the hole. Those can be easily rebuilt and if you want to really get serious, they can be professionally restored.

float sinks and its pretty roughed up in general, but i cant find a foat anywhere for the carter
You ain't lookin hard. lol
He has nice kits, too. If you want to and would like to take a chance enough to pay shipping both ways, I'll clean it up good and put a kit in it for you and send it back. I can't promise anything, because they get old and sometimes they just cannot be rebuilt, but I'll try.

My wife's 64 has a Holley 1920 1 bbl. Although it is a 225.
I think that's the wrong carburetor. @slantsixdan will let us know. My 64 was all original when I got it and it had a Carter BBS. I still have it with the original tag and the tag decodes right.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't original. Got a carb kit and it definately listed the Holley and it ,as well, has all the original tags. It is the Charger 225 engine. Special for 1964.

1964 factory service manual and Chrysler parts catalog both show Holley 1920 and Carter BBS used on 225's that year.

It has grown very difficult and expensive to get hold of a good 1bbl carburetor for most any Slant-6 application, especially the pre-'67 ones with the rotating-rod throttle setup.

There's that expensive new one out of Argentina, which with a bunch of cobbling and hacking can be made to mostly more or less fit and kinda hook up and sorta work. It's a copy of a Holley 1904, an ancient, primitive old tractor carburetor (also used on a a fair number of cars that might as well have been tractors).

"Remanufactured" carburetors have been junk for a long time, especially ones old enough to have been through the abusive "remanufacturing" process multiple times.

A new old stock carburetor would be far and away the best option; those require patience to find and money to buy. You don't necessarily have to have a 1964 carburetor; what you need is one with the throttle lever configured to accept the rotating-rod setup, and with the large nipple for PCV. So that's some '61-'62 carbs, and many '63-'66 carbs, and some '67-up carbs (made with throttle levers that'll accept either the rod or the cable; took 'em awhile to figure out that was a smart idea).

Carter BBS and Holley 1920 carburetors were both factory-installed on 170s and 225s starting in '62. The BBS was the better carb design, especially starting in '64 when the already cost-engineered 1920 was cheapened further, but at this late date you take whichever one you can get in better condition.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

thanks everybody, i took another look at my carb and a float might not solve the probem for long, its pretty damaged. it will run with a float but not a whole lot more than that. id anybodies got that carter bbd that'd be great but 1920 could still do, thanks for help.

You ain't lookin hard. lol
He has nice kits, too. If you want to and would like to take a chance enough to pay shipping both ways, I'll clean it up good and put a kit in it for you and send it back. I can't promise anything, because they get old and sometimes they just cannot be rebuilt, but I'll try.
for whatever reason i ordered that fl125 and it was about a half inch too wide, and half inch long

for whatever reason i ordered that fl125 and it was about a half inch too wide, and half inch long
That's because it's for the Carter BBS.....which I actually recommend over the Holley. I think the Carter is a much better and easier carburetor to work on. Just personal preference.

-
Back