65 904 vs 66-up 904 differences/advantages?

-

Cuda1965

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there are any significant differences or advantages to upgrade/change to a 66 and up 904 tranny vs my 65 cable shift 904 that is in my 65 barracuda now? Also what are the differences and what else I would need to change to put a 66-up in. I have to rebuild/replace my tranny, I had it rebuilt 4-5 years ago by a local shop but it was never correct, I went to put a TF-2 shift kit in this weekend but when I drained the fluid and pulled the pan I could see the tranny is self destructing; burnt fluid and lots of debris in the pan.
My 65 904 has the two cable shifter setup and the 2nd rear oil pump, floor mount cable shifter. I have a 92 Mopar performance 360 crate motor in the car.
I was hoping to purchase a street/strip performance 904 from a reputable place but all of them only offer the 66-up 904, no one seems to offer a rebuilt upgraded older style 904 like mine, I was hoping to keep the original shifter but....
I know I would have to switch shifter linkage, what about trans mount/crossmember, drive shaft?

As you noted, your current dual cable operated 904 has a rear pump,which allows the car to be push started - not used in 66/later 904/727s. It also has a large rear bearing to help support that pump (also not used in later ones); it's a ruggedly built transmission in of itself. Against: it's dual cable operated, one for park and the other for forward/reverse and has that ball & trunnion flange. A 66/up to when they changed to a spool-type transmission mount V8 904 should bolt right in with minimum, if any, mods to the transmission crossmember. As you noted you lose the shifter and must convert to the later shifting mechanism. There was a company who made a conversion kit to use a later transmission with your original shifter but believe they have gone belly up. I'm sure others will add more info.

I forgot exactly what year it changed (mid 60's), but the newer 904 transmissions have different converter splines and a larger snout. That means that converters won't interchange and a newer converter snout won't fit into the crank register. You may need a newer style custom converter but with the older style, smaller snout to fit into the crank. In 1978, Torqueflites started using lock-up converters, which were also splined differently and won't interchange with non-lock-up versions. But they retained the bigger snout. They are fine for stock street use, but not performance oriented. Best thing is that they also started getting lower first & second gears about then or shortly afterwards. I believe speedometer cables and gears were changed around then as well.

Last edited:
Yes I have a 92 360 Magnum that replaced the original old V-8 that was put in by the original guy that restored the car, I found out the issue of matching splines/snouts etc shortly after I got the car, I had all sorts of vibrations going on....found out he had the original old style converter bolted up to the 92 magnum engine, not a good thing... the tranny shop had a new torque converter made to match the magnum engine to my 65 904 (that's about the only thing they did right).
Since I would really like to keep my original shifter I guess my first option is to find a fairly local racing/performance transmission builder to see about getting mine rebuilt/upgraded to a street strip version. I researched and found Dynamic Racing Transmissions in North Branford CT that is close to me. Has anyone heard anything about these guys? Their website boasts all sorts of great things.........

-
Back