65 barracuda dash pad removal

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
Finally

Started this job 20 years ago and gave up. Steps:
Only special tool I needed is pictured, 3/8" socket 12 pt swivel head HF ratchet
dash tool.jpg

I did this straddling the front seats, no laying down for me
Remove mirror or bonk into it with your head
Remove glove box insides
Remove heater control dress up panel (11/32 nuts?) and cigarette lighter
Remove ashtray
Move heater controls down and out of the way
Drop steering column(unbolt and pry coupler away from steering box or it may fall apart)
Remove instrument cluster/ignition switch lock ring
Drop wiper control switch out of the way. I used a screwdriver and hammer on the lock ring. I also removed the headlight switch as that's getting replaced but wasn't necessary. It has a button on the side of the switch that you press while pulling its knob out the front of the dash. Pretty weird!
That gave access to the far left nut, harder to reach than the center one in my opinion.
I don't have a radio and PO cut a larger opening that helped a bit.
Watch the sheet metal screws that protrude from beneath the dash speaker or OUCH!!!
Don't do this in a hurry or in full sun. Results: I may paint the dash pad frame or vinyl cover it minus the foam. It kind of looks like it belongs in an old airplane and I like it
dash.jpg
dash3.jpg
dash5.jpg

Yeah it’s not a fun one to remove that’s for sure! Once you get all the stuff out of the way not much holds it in place!

Ended up around $100 for my entire dash project. Magnetic bluetooth amplifier fits behind cigarette lighter. Bought a scroll saw blade for the jigsaw to cut the plywood, that thing is amazing.
I used motorcycle windscreen rubber wellnuts to install the defrost vents from the top. No more playing with nuts behind the dash again
cigarette lighter.jpg
speaker back.jpg
speaker grille.jpg
dash vent parts.jpg
dash vent welded.jpg
dash.jpg

-
Back