65 Barracuda trim removal: Help

-

65Cudafix

Reaction score
I'm new to MOPAR, to this forum, and to automotive repair in general so I seriously appreciate any assistance I can get. I'm stripping my '65 Cuda to get media blasted, rust repair and painted. To Complicate matters the car is Canadian... You can see from the photos below she says "VA_IANT" (missing an L) across her posterior rather than the American "PLYMOUTH". She also had dual adjustable mirrors on her fenders (not the door mount) She also has an extra digit in her VIN... Anyway I'm trying to avoid making matters worse, but I'm too cheap to pay an expert to do it for me...

Can someone please tell me how to remove the V8 and Barracuda trim (see photo)on the front fenders without destroying them?

My guess is that they are simply posts held in place with friction and that one can 'tap' the posts from the rear until you can get a screw driver under it from the front and 'pry gently' out? (how's that for a guess?)

Also, how to remove my antenna... I unscrewed the locking nut and removed the chrome trim piece but the plastic 'half globe' and gasket seem reluctant to come out (See Photo)... Is there another nut under the fender (if so how does one access it?) or am I being a wimp and need to use my wrecking bar...

Then there is the "window trim" below the rear window (see photo), I'm guessing there are nuts holding this on and there are access holes under the interior trim, Which I've already removed, but haven't investigated too far since it's difficult to get to, I'm saving it for later.

At some point I'll need to get the door handles and locks off as well.

It would be great if someone wrote a book on how to do this, but I suppose an average fellow can figure it out...

Thanks in advance,

65Cudafix

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

All of the pieces have nuts that hold them in place , go behind the fender or decklid and you will see.

The large trim piece above the decklid is also held in place with nuts

Remove the mud shields on the inside of the fenders and reach up with like a 7/16 socket to remove the emblems. The antenna is also held in place with a large Bolt, but I forget what I used to remove it.

It would be great if someone wrote a book on how to do this, but I suppose an average fellow can figure it out...

Trust me, as a fellow newbie, there is a book...it's this website. And the authors are all of the experts here. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

-
Back