65 Dart GT Turn Signal and Bake Light Issues

-

Dart@TheHook

Reaction score
I know there have been many questions and discussions on this topic, so I apologize. I did some searching and I'm pretty sure I need to replace the turn signal switch, but i'd like some confirmation.

I've got a 1965 Dodge Dart GT. First and foremost, the turns signals do not work, no exterior lamps, panel lamps or clicking sound. The brake lights also do not work. These things used to work until I had an accidental short or some sort and had a little smoke come out of the steering column. I don't see any melted wires in the column, but I do see a little heat damage to the switch (like the plastic melted and the red rivet drifted a little). I do have 12v still at that rivet, but it doesn't seem to pass through the switch. I haven't had a chance to check the voltage on the switch outputs yet, but at this point I'm guessing I need to order a replacement from the sources I've seen here.

Thanks for everyone's help! This restoration has been a long time coming and i'm exciting to keep moving forward.

I would do some testing before you order. You can get aftermarket wiring diagrams at MyMopar and some shop manuals same place, FACTORY shop manuals, and they are free. I believe there is a 65 over there. You may have to accept Dodge/ vs Plymouth or vice versa

The brake light switch should have power to it at all times. When pedal is depressed, brake power goes to the TS switch.

The inputs and outputs of the switch are as follows:

(You may or may not have an external hazard switch)

IN: Switched brake light power with pedal depressed

Turn signal flasher power when key is "on"

OUT:

Left rear turn/ brake
Right rear turn/ brake
Left front turn
Right front turn

The fronts branch off (sometimes right at the TS switch connector) and feed the dash indicators

If you have hazard switch, it is 4 terminals, which are all 4 connected as one when engaged. It is fed a separate flasher, powered at all times. The remaining three branch into the switched brake power (which feeds both brake lamps with TS switch centered) and one to left front and last to right front.

-
Back