65 Dart magnum dr. Side exhaust journey

-

Tad

Reaction score
6874CBFD-BD35-43C8-99E7-B1181301A15D.jpeg
E1A6AACE-5D2B-4277-B5B8-E5FFA3B4CF19.jpeg
6F6DCDB2-152D-47D6-A0A9-2E5443BDBD5F.jpeg
E0E8C78F-64C5-4F51-876C-5BADBB951372.jpeg
So I started working on getting the driver side magnum 5.9 manifold in place. First thing I had to do was switch from a power steering to a manual steering box. Got that done! Then I had to grind a little bit of the top of the steering box and the bottom of the manifold to make it fit. since I was running a power box I have a power steering column so I bought the adapter between the manual steering box and the power column. Unfortunately it looks like that is not going to work. The length of the adapter puts the steering coupler right in the way of the manifold. I read another post on here that showed someone shimming about a half inch under the driver side motor mount to lift the manifold up. I believe that was to make the steering shaft fit with a manual steering shaft not a power shaft. Now time to figure out how to make an in-line coupler between my power shaft and my manual steering box. has anyone ever used Magnum manifolds with a manual steering box and a power steering column? If so advice would be appreciated.
5A60A1CC-F229-4898-BB36-F2BA758FAC88.jpeg

At the very least you will need the manual shaft for your column or replace the whole column.
I’m thinking since I have the adapter I may just figure out the distance between my current shaft and the top of the adapter. Cut a piece of stock that length, welded it on and then weld the adapter to that. Then the adapter will just slide onto the power steering box. It’s the bulkiness of the Coupler that is my issue. Your thoughts?

Grind clearance or shim up the mounts.
The only problem with using the adapter is that it sets the coupler back right under the end of the manifold. It’s not just the shaft. The way it looks there’s no way to have the Cupler sit right there. On others I’ve seen with the manual steering column it’s long enough to put the Cupler right down at the top of the steering box versus my situation where I have the adapter pushing it back up

The only problem with using the adapter is that it sets the coupler back right under the end of the manifold. It’s not just the shaft. The way it looks there’s no way to have the Cupler sit right there. On others I’ve seen with the manual steering column it’s long enough to put the Cupler right down at the top of the steering box versus my situation where I have the adapter pushing it back up
Looks like you need a manual column and cancel the adapter.

I’m thinking since I have the adapter I may just figure out the distance between my current shaft and the top of the adapter. Cut a piece of stock that length, welded it on and then weld the adapter to that. Then the adapter will just slide onto the power steering box. It’s the bulkiness of the Coupler that is my issue. Your thoughts?
The coupler is there for when you get flex between the body and frame allowing it to move up and down even the very slightest.

Another option some people have used (not my first choice, and only if '65s had a collapsible column), is to extend the shaft out the required amount to eliminate the need for the adapter- but if you do this, be VERY sure that you still have enough engagement in the shaft so it won't separate under driving conditions.

Another option some people have used (not my first choice, and only if '65s had a collapsible column), is to extend the shaft out the required amount to eliminate the need for the adapter- but if you do this, be VERY sure that you still have enough engagement in the shaft so it won't separate under driving conditions.

65 is a solid shaft, no collapsing column

I removed a couple inches off mine, switched to the borgesen style coupler to get some room when I had the 318 in the car. worked nicely

I removed a couple inches off mine, switched to the borgesen style coupler to get some room when I had the 318 in the car. worked nicely
The flanges are pretty thick. You could mill material off for clearance. It could be milled at an angle for more effect.

I just cleaned up and smoothed the edges on my magnum manifold and ran a 1/4 shim under both mounts. was cheaper than finding someone to mill those manifolds

image.jpg
Shimmer the driver side up .38 of an inch. Makes all the difference!!! Plenty of clearance now.

image.jpg
What’s the best way to get a stuck exhaust stud out? Heat? Already tried double nutting it. No luck.

image.jpg

Are you using the stock 273 66 and down engine brackets. If you are that is the wrong rubber mount 67 and up. The early mount rubbers are twice as thick.
No, it’s a 340. With 340 metal brackets and I believe 340 rubber as well

-
Back