65 Dart Radio Antenna Location

-

PocketAces

Reaction score
My car has the radio antenna in the rear quarter, which I must admit looks pretty good. Here's what my car looks like with the antenna in the back.

But, I'm doing an original restoration and so I think I should move it to the front fender. Trouble is, I have two fenders and neither one has an antenna hole. According to the fender tag, the car came with a radio, so I'm guessing the fender was replaced at some point.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone can upload some measurements for where to put the hole. I need the diameter as well as the location.

Attachments

• P1000456 cropped.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 244
This help?

Attachments

• ant hole.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 225
  • ant hole2.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 234
  • ant hole3.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 215
  • ant hole4.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 235
  • ant hole5.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 227
From the point of the fender it's 9 inches then centered width wise. The hole is roughly 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

Thanks for the help guys.

Looks like I have two different answers that don't agree. The picture looks like 1" diameter, but gtmopar says 1.5". They don't agree front to back either.

How certain are you guys that you have a factory antenna hole?

Maybe I need a tie breaker.

John!
Here is a picture from Chrysler re mounting the antenna. I can make a copy for you and send it to you by regular mail. I double checked the measurements on my wagon and it was right. However when I checked on my convertible my antenna was 3" in front of the drilling scheme.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 217
Maybe you could measure your cars and/or the template see if they agree with breakstuff or gtmopar? Do you think they could have varied between the wagon and the convertible? I can't imagine why.

They may have varied but I can't see why either. I measured mine to within an 1/8 of an inch. Now I'm curious because I also have another fender ill check. Ulfs diagram looks the way it should have been and I'm wondering if there was an add on antenna that could have been available if one was not ordered factory?

Mine had the factory antenna. I removed it to fill in the hole.

Could it have been that the assembly line workers were pretty sure where the hole for the antenna were! So they drilled the hole on "free hand" to keep up the speed on the line!

Found this post on another thread:

Antenna mounting was part of predelivery service at the dealership.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969806465&postcount=6

Seems hard to believe that the factory would leave such a risky and labor intensive process to the dealership!

Could this explain my car? The fender tag says it came with a radio, but there is no hole in the fender and no hole for the antenna wire behind the kick panel. Could the dealer have decided to put the antenna in the rear instead?

Found this post on another thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969806465&postcount=6

Seems hard to believe that the factory would leave such a risky and labor intensive process to the dealership!

Could this explain my car? The fender tag says it came with a radio, but there is no hole in the fender and no hole for the antenna wire behind the kick panel. Could the dealer have decided to put the antenna in the rear instead?

John!

That could be the case. The customer might wanted the antenna at the back of the car instead!

You have a point that Chrysler should have added the antenna ón the fender before the inner fender splash shield was installed. After that the inner fenders were coated with undercoating. And that would make it hard to take off the bolts again to get rid of the inner splash shield and then add the antenna.

The next option would be to do it beside the front door and the body. It is tight but it could have happened.

Would the antanea being a dealership install hold true to 67s also. Just find it curious as I have seen some 67 Darts with the antanea on drivers side (mine) and some on the passenger side.

-
Back