65 dart rear windshield

-
Reaction score
I’ve been looking into installing the rear windshield on my 2 door 65 dart. Is there a how too? I’ve looked but can’t find one. I’ve seen videos of folks installing it on cars with no chrome trim. I have the gasket ready. Thanks in advance.

I’ve been looking into installing the rear windshield on my 2 door 65 dart. Is there a how too? I’ve looked but can’t find one. I’ve seen videos of folks installing it on cars with no chrome trim. I have the gasket ready. Thanks in advance.
Depends on the gasket and I'm not sure on yours if it has a lock strip or not.
Picture of the gasket would help.

There's a couple of ways to do it and I've done it both ways. The first is to install the back glass into the gasket (without the lock strip) and use a thin nylon rope to peel it all in place. Then install the lockstrip. The second is to install the gasket without the lockstrip and then to install the glass into the gasket and then install the lock strip. If you have help and the gasket is still pliable, I like the first method. Otherwise the second method is easier IMO.

I’ve been looking into installing the rear windshield on my 2 door 65 dart. Is there a how too? I’ve looked but can’t find one. I’ve seen videos of folks installing it on cars with no chrome trim. I have the gasket already. I got it from classic industries part number MA9809. Thanks in advance.

48F7F29A-B862-413C-9CCC-E32CDCC3AE81.jpeg

7BCC21DB-7AC7-424D-A132-E309A7775F59.jpeg

65AD5553-159D-41BD-B8A3-6DE00D5C96E2.jpeg

OK looks like it's a rope in type from what I see. Put the rubber on the glass get a nylon rope no bigger than 1/4" and no smaller than 13/64" and insert it around the rubber that goes in the metal pinch weld that holds the rubber and glass to the window metal frame and have the ends of the rope overlap at the middle bottom of the rubber. Gonna need to people to do this the first time. center the glass to the pinch weld with the rubber gasket on the glass and the guy on the out side of the car holding the glass and a slight pushing in to keep it tight against the car.
Have a guy on the inside of the car pulling the rope to make the edge of the rubber go over the pinch weld. Once the bottom and around both lower corners are over the pinch weld try and push the glass straight down to seat it and then pull the rope so the rubber goes around the pinch weld on both sides evenly.
Top corners are the hardest and be careful pulling on the rope that you don't cut the rubber.
Not good at explaining things but have done hundreds of rubber set windows.

OK looks like it's a rope in type from what I see. Put the rubber on the glass get a nylon rope no bigger than 1/4" and no smaller than 13/64" and insert it around the rubber that goes in the metal pinch weld that holds the rubber and glass to the window metal frame and have the ends of the rope overlap at the middle bottom of the rubber. Gonna need to people to do this the first time. center the glass to the pinch weld with the rubber gasket on the glass and the guy on the out side of the car holding the glass and a slight pushing in to keep it tight against the car.
Have a guy on the inside of the car pulling the rope to make the edge of the rubber go over the pinch weld. Once the bottom and around both lower corners are over the pinch weld try and push the glass straight down to seat it and then pull the rope so the rubber goes around the pinch weld on both sides evenly.
Top corners are the hardest and be careful pulling on the rope that you don't cut the rubber.
Not good at explaining things but have done hundreds of rubber set windows.

Thanks! When fitting the gasket to the glass do I need to apply any sealer or? I know I need to probably put some lube in there but anything to seal that or just gasket to glass works?

You can apply the sealer last. Just stick the end of the tube point under the seal and go all the way around when you're done.

Now, about how to install the glass. I agree, I see no lock strip. Install the gasket on the glass. Make SURE you get it on the right way AND in the right spot. Then take a 1/4 nylon rope and start it in the groove the pinch weld goes into starting in the center at the bottom, leaving at least a couple of feet out of the groove so you'll have something to pull on. Wrap the rope all the way around the gasket into the groove and leave about the same amount sticking out when you get it around meeting the first piece you stuck in the groove. Now get a bottle of dishwashing detergent and dump on the rope in the groove all the way around. Next....making SURE both ends of the rope not only stay IN the groove AND put them INSIDE the car at the same time, gently place the glass and gasket down on top of the bottom pinch weld and make sure the pinch weld is in the groove all the way across the bottom. Finally, get inside the car and with a friend outside GENTLY pushing on the window starting at the bottom, Start pulling the rope out at a 90 degree angle to the glass so the rope pulls the seal lip over the inside of the pinch weld, as your friend is following along pushing the glass from the outside as you go. The detergent is very important. Failure to do that means you WILL tear the gasket. Don't worry about the mess. Continue all the way around SLOWLY until you have the entire lip of the gasket inside the pinch weld. Once you do that, the rope should be out and the glass installed. Finally, rinse it off good from the outside getting the detergent out of the groove and let it sit and dry a few days before you put any sealer on it. I still have yet to put sealer on Vixen's back glass, but it'snot leaking a drop. Sometimes they do and some times they don't seal without some sealer. It all depends on the quality of the gasket. IF you put sealer on it, I would just put sealer between the gasket and pinch weld around the outside of the gasket. So far, I've never needed to put sealer between the glass and gasket and I've done a LOT of them through the years.

The windshield and rear glass on these cars usually use a seal with a lock strip. I once hired a glass company to install the glass in my Cuda. I asked him if he was going use sealer. His answer was there is no need. When I saw how easy it is to remove and install glass in this type of car, I'll never hire anyone again. I always do it myself without help and I don't use any messy sealer. I have never had a leak. If your're using an old seal, it might be a good idea.

The windshield and rear glass on these cars usually use a seal with a lock strip. I once hired a glass company to install the glass in my Cuda. I asked him if he was going use sealer. His answer was there is no need. When I saw how easy it is to remove and install glass in this type of car, I'll never hire anyone again. I always do it myself without help and I don't use any messy sealer. I have never had a leak. If your're using an old seal, it might be a good idea.

That's what I thought, too, but I see no lock strip groove in that gasket he pictured above, do you? Maybe the wrong gasket?

Where did you buy the gasket? The lock strips on eBay are pretty good. That's where I got mine. For the best quality, go to Steele Rubber. It's possible that there is a lock-less gasket but I've never seen one. Most people want the most bling with a shiny with the fax stainless strip.

-
Back